What we do

Brightlingsea Town Council is responsible for:

  • Beach Huts (some are managed by  Tendring District Council)
  • Pawson’s Playground 
  • Bayard Recreation Ground
  • Millennium Gardens
  • Promenade Way 
  • The Lozenge
  • Upkeep of some of the memorial benches around the town

Refuse sacks and recycling
The council office sells black refuse sacks, dog waste bags and food caddy bags. It also issues red recycling boxes for paper and card, green boxes for plastics and tins, and food waste caddies.

Hall Hire
The Parish Hall is available for hire. Contact the council office for more details 

Help with payments
Help is available in the council office for residents who need assistance with online council tax payments to Tendring District Council. 

Food Bank
The Brightlingsea Food Bank operates from the Parish Hall on Wednesday mornings from 10.30am – 12.00 noon. For more information contact the Coordinator, Win Pomroy on 07970 480968.

Councillor drop-in Surgeries
Councillor drop-in Surgeries are held at The Parish Hall and give an opportunity for Brightlingsea Residents to discuss local issues.
Dates can be found on the Events Calendar.

Tendring District Council Housing Advice Surgery
Tendring District Council Housing Advice Surgery no longer visits Brightlingsea.  Call 01255 686488 for further information.

Citizens Advice Bureau
To make an appointment please telephone 01255 377080.  This is an answerphone message service only. Leave your name, telephone number and a brief message regarding the problem/enquiry.  The CAB will call you back to make an appointment.

The Registrar no longer visits Brightlingsea. To register a birth or death contact 0845 603 7632 to make an appointment at their office.

Tendring District Council

Tendring District Council deals with:

  •  Fly tipping
  • Problems with the TDC car parks in Brightlingsea
  • Problems with the TDC toilets in Brightlingsea
  • Rubbish collections
  • Noise pollution
  • Dog fouling
  • Abandoned vehicles
  • Litter
  • Antisocial behaviour

Reports of urgent issues can be reported to the Town Council, which will pass them on to the relevant authority .

Tendring District Council’s website
Contact Tendring District Councillors for Brightlingsea here

Essex County Council

Essex County Council’s Highways department deals with:

  • Potholes
  • Uneven road surfaces
  • Damage highways
  • Street lighting issues
  • Fallen branches or trees
  • Blocked drains & flooding
  • Hedges etc obstructing the highway
  • Damaged or broken street signs

Reports of urgent issues can be reported to the Town Council, which will pass them on to the relevant authority.

Essex County Council’s website
Contact Brightlingsea’s Essex County Councillor here