Councillor Alan Goggin
- Last full Council TDC meeting September 9.
- One of the items for debate will be the street lights “switch off”. There is a proposition that they are kept on – all the night time – everywhere. The extra cost to be paid for by TDC ratepayers. I would like to have the item discussed under some level as I would like to have a feel of Councils view.
- The last few weeks have been dominated by the Clacton election and several initiatives have been “put on hold” due to staff being used elsewhere.
- We had a positive meeting with Mike Carren from TDC and Cllr Mann about the pool. As instructed by Council some of the finance details were explained in greater depth. There are some more minor figures needed and Graham & I hope to have these for Thursday. For general interest we agreed to circulate the numbers we discussed under a separate report rather than include in this summary. Key figures show that the subsidy from TDC for the pool during the last few years were:-
- 2011/12 – £77,665
- 2012/13 – £54,991
- 2013/14 – £46,496
- The final figures for 2014/15 are not yet complete but to date the running loss is £33,385 and expected to increase by an extra £9/10K when some final bills are in. All of the above figures would be greater by £10,000 every year if it were not for the payment from BTC. To put this in to some form of perspective the subsidy per “user” throughout Tendrings other centres is in the range between of 31 pence to £1.13 (Colne sports centre). At the pool it is £3.29 per swimmer.
- No further news at the time of preparing this report in respect of the possible improvements to the Paddling Pool area but there is a meeting scheduled prior to the Full Council which may have some updates.
- As always I would be interested to hear from any Councillors or residents with ideas about generating and saving money in the district. The cabinet meet formally or informally every week and if there are any Brightlingsea Issues that you would like me to especially raise – please feel free to ask.
Councillor Graham Steady
The members workshop evening has now been confirmed and I am working with TDC Officers to ensure that an agenda which will allow full and frank discussions is formulated. This is so that all TDC members will have an opportunity to have an input into the future financial planning of Tendring District council.
Along with Councillor J Chapman I have been involved with a local resident regarding Benefits which appears to have had a suitable outcome.