• Full Council meeting July 2. Key issue was attempt to hold debate on reduction of services at birthing unit at Harwich/Clacton. Subsequently discussed at full Cabinet meeting on July 12. Surprisingly few Councillors attended considering passion and votes on night. Resolved to try and fight any attempt to closure.
• July 4 attended meeting with police Commissioner at Clacton. He intends to visit each area twice per year. Surprisingly small attendance from Councillors and public considering press coverage. I have tabled some points and would like to extend them at BTC meeting. See attached notes.
• July 10. Attended members briefing to learn about new planning rules. Could be very important to towns such as Brightlingsea – especially in the High Street. Big change re change of use and conversions of use.
• July 11. Attended Locality Board at Weeley. A disaster. Main speaker from ECC did not show but sent his deputy and a secretary. Not good and message sent back saying so.
• I have circulated the parking strategy from TDC which was a point raised at the last BTC Town meeting. Some points need to be discussed at next BTC meeting. See attached reports.
• Document circulated to discuss reduction of numbers of Councillors. Would be interested in views.
• As always I would be interested to hear from any Councillors or residents with ideas about generating and saving money. The cabinet meet informally every week as well as formally every 3 / 4 weeks and I will be pleased to represent any views which have merit.
• A reminder about the Clacton Air Show. August 22/23. The only air show on the whole of the east coast this year following the cancellation of the Felixstowe and Southend shows. Bumper crowds expected but still a financial risk to TDC. The risk of cost is weighed against the £4 million anticipated value to the whole area. A good variety of planes including the Red Arrows and, as announced last week, the Vulcan Bomber. A fantastic sight. And it’s free! I know that in the past a lot of boats have left Brightlingsea to watch the show from the sea. There is a “mooring zone.