Residents across Tendring are being given an extra two weeks to register for their popular free householder parking permits due to demand.

Staff at Tendring District Council (TDC) are continuing to work non-stop to keep up with requests – and have dealt with 15,000 already.

Last year’s permit expired on March 31 and two weeks grace was given for the changeover. Now the Council has decided to move that back to the end of April to cope with the sheer numbers.

Nick Turner, TDC’s Cabinet Member for Coast Protection and Seafronts, said that the Council is keen to ensure that no one is concerned about registering in time.

“It just goes to show how popular these free parking permits are that so many people are keen to get one,” he said. “We appreciate that some residents have experienced difficulties due to the volume of calls we are receiving and also getting through on the website. Staff are still working flat out and we have pulled in staff from other jobs to deal with the registrations.

“Once again we apologise for any frustration people have experienced. That is why we are extending the life of the old permits until April 30 so that residents do not worry that they are running out of time.”

Residents can also pick up a form from Clacton Town Hall, TDC’s Pier Avenue Offices or Planning Reception at Weeley and the registration will be done for them provided they supply their Council Tax account number. They will receive a call back to confirm the process has been completed.

All Council Tax paying households within Tendring can register for the virtual permits which can be used at all TDC-run car park sites (except the Naze and Holland Haven) from 11am onwards.

They are valid from April 1, 2016 until March 31, 2017 – excluding July and August. This year householders can apply for a permit for a second car at a cost of £20 for the year. Car owners from outside Tendring can also apply for a permit at the cost of £50 offering them the same advantages as residents.


News from Tendring District Council

Report Potholes

Essex County Council is responsible for highways in and around Brightlingsea. Report potholes directly here.


Most articles on this site feature a "Listen" button - when clicked you will hear the text read back. Make sure your speakers are on and the volume is turned up.


FixMyStreet directs reports of problems with your street, such as failed streetlights, to the correct local authority department.

Discover Brightlingsea

Read the annual town guide produced by the Town Council. 

© Brightlingsea Town Council 2011 – .
Site designed and maintained by Big Red Web Design. Webmaster.

© Brightlingsea Town Council 2011 – .
Site designed and maintained by Big Red Web Design. Webmaster.