BRIGHTLINGSEA TOWN COUNCIL
Minutes of the Meeting held at the Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on Thursday 8th August 2013 at 7.30 pm
I Block (Chairman)
J Chapman (Vice Chairman)
D Dixon, A Goggin, J Russell,
G Steady and K Yallop
Also in Attendance:
Councillors V Chapman, Dixon and Edey
Tracey Pulford- Town Clerk/RFO
F.078. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: None received..
F.079 CONFIRMATIONOF THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON THE 11TH JULY 2013, RECEIVED BY COUNCIL ON THE 18TH JULY 2013:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record of the meeting.
F.080 DECLARATION OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS:
Members were reminded of the requirement to disclose any interest in relation to items on the agenda, when these are discussed.
F.081 UPDATE ON STAFF SALARIES FOR 2013/2014:
The Chairman reported that as the staff salaries are linked into the NJC scales, an increase has now been agreed of around 1%, and this will be applied to all staff, backdated to the 1st April 2013.
Councillor J Chapman also recommended that one member of staff is moved up from scale point 5 to scale point 6. Agreed.
A discussion then took place on the staff salaries and it was agreed that the staff committee would look into this in more detail.
Recommendation: (1) Staff Salaries are increased in line with the NJC pay increase, backdated to 1st April 2013, (2) One member of staffs salary is increased to scale point 6, (3) the Staff Committee look into the staff salaries etc at a future meeting.
F.082 1ST ROUND OF GRANT APPLICATIONS:
Councillors J Chapman and Russell both declared an interest in the Family Support application.
Councillor Steady asked the Chairman if the current grant system is outdated. After discussion it was agreed that if members had another method of handing out the grants money, then they should circulate their ideas so it can be discussed at future meeting.
All the grant applications received were discussed, and it was agreed as follows:
1) Colne Quilters receive a grant of £80.00
2) Brightlingsea YMCA receive a grant of £1,000.00 on the assumption that the scheme goes ahead.
3) Church Lads and Girls Brigade receive a grant of £575.00 with the equipment stating ‘supported by Brightlingsea Town Council’.
4) Brightlingsea and District Horticultural Society – The Town Council to purchase the tent, and hire out on the same terms as the gazebo, but before doing so check with the Horticultural Society to see if the Councils gazebo would be suitable to hire.
5) Family Support receive a grant of £240.00.
Recommendation: (1) Members should circulate their ideas on the grant process, so this can be discussed at a future meeting (2) Grants are allocated as above.
F.083 CLOSE OF MEETING:
There being no further business, the meeting closed at 8.19 pm.