BRIGHTLINGSEA TOWN COUNCIL
Minutes of the Council Meeting held atThe Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on:
Thursday 21st January 2010 at 7.30 p.m.
J Chapman (Mayor)
M Holding (Deputy Mayor)
J Aldridge, M Beckwith, I Block, V Chapman, D Dixon, A Goggin, J Russell, G Steady and K Yallop
Tracey Pulford –Secretary to the Town Council
148. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Cllr Mann and Cllr Nick Turner.
149. TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 10TH DECEMBER 2009 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record.
150. MAYOR’S ANNOUNCEMENTS:
A copy of the Mayor’s Announcements is annexed to the Minutes.
151. QUESTIONS UNDER SO 10(2):
152. DECLARATION OF PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTERESTS:
The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
153. TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:
The Payments and Accounts for the period ending December 2009 (as shown on the attached appendix) were proposed by Cllr Yallop as follows:
General Account Cheque No’s 704485 – 704504 in the sum of £11,909.67 for payment
Bank Balances – All accounts – in the sum of £246,300.20
Employee payments paid for the month of December were £9,150.98
Seconded by Cllr Holding. Agreed.
Cllr Russell asked what cheque 704494 for Guardian Fencing was for. Cllr Yallop replied it was for the new fencing on the Bayard Recreation Ground. Cllr Steady asked what cheque 704488 for the Audit Commission was for. Cllr Yallop replied this was the audit charges for the 2008/2009 Audit.
154. COUNTY COUNCILLOR ROBINSON:
County Councillor Robinson reported on the following local issues:
• The proposed pedestrian crossing by the Colne School has been look at but has been unsuccessful. This is due to the lack of people who would be using it.
• Pot Holes – Essex County Council is getting the major ones sorted out.
• Aware that the road works at the Waterfront are being put back due to the weather.
Councillors then asked County Councillor Robinson many questions regarding gritting, pot holes in the area and health and safety issues at the Junior School.
155. TO RECEIVE REPORT FROM COUNCILLOR NICK TURNER, THE CHAIRMAN OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
The Mayor advised the meeting that unfortunately Cllr Turner was unable to attend this meeting.
156. TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:
A copy of the Questions from the Public is annexed to the Minutes.
157. TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES OF THE PLANNING MEETINGS HELD ON 10TH DECEMBER 2009 AND 7TH JANUARY 2010 AND TO NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
Cllr Dixon proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes of the 10th December 2009 and 7th January 2010 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from TDC. Seconded by Cllr Holding.
158. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBERS WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Further to the written reports:-
Cllr Aldridge – Community Parking Initiative – Very pleased with the response to this scheme and have had a couple of heated discussions. Alresford are using this scheme, and Harwich are thinking of coming on board. Manningtree have also shown an interest.
From the High Street to Colne Road there are 542 parking spaces over night. If residential parking is introduced we will lose 150 spaces, 90 spaces if yellow lines are implemented on the junctions.
Am meeting with Harwich Town Council, Ian Taylor and L Belgrove of Alresford Parish Council to talk to their Regeneration and Highways Committee.
Cllr Beckwith – The water taxi has been sold to Ian Hunter.
Cllr J Chapman – Nothing further to add.
Cllr V Chapman – Received many complaints about dog fouling in Brightlingsea.
Cllr Steady asked about the status of the Town Plan and the Questionnaire. Cllr Chapman replied that another meeting was scheduled for February and some funding has been received towards the analysis and printing of the plan.
Cllr Goggin – Nothing further to add.
Cllr Holding – Nothing further to add.
Cllr Russell – Nothing further to add.
Cllr Steady – Darryl Crawley is looking to set up a Youth Theatre, and has put a lot of hard work into the preparations.
Work on the new fence on the Bayard Recreation Ground is underway, Tendring District Council has contributed £3,500 + Vat towards it, Brightlingsea Town Council are supplying the labour.
Allotments – Have consulted with Terry Hamilton and the two allotment groups and now have a new/amended set of Terms and Conditions, which supersede the set dated April 2000. Seconded by Cllr Block.
Cllr Yallop – Nothing further to add.
159. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBER REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES:
Further to the written reports:-
Cllr J Chapman – If anyone would like a copy of the Police Breakdown for December 2009, please let her know.
160. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS:
Cllr Steady and Cllr Goggin both mentioned the budget process at Tendring District Council, and that the Council Tax for Tendring is the cheapest in Essex.
Cllr V Chapman said that she enjoyed being a substitute at the corporate management meeting.
161. TO RECEIVE THE SECRETARY’S REPORT:
The following was agreed:
2.1 As the Carnival Association are talking about moving their car boot sale on Sunday 25th July, Cllr Russell proposed that Bert Stocks Fun Fair visits from the 22nd – 25th July 2010. Seconded by Cllr Goggin.
2.2 After discussion it was agreed that if anyone had any ideas they should contact Cllr Goggin, who was attending a meeting next week.
162. PART ‘B’
MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 100a (4) OF THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT 1972 – TO DISCUSS THE FOLLOWING:
(A) TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE PART B MEETING HELD ON THE 19TH NOVEMBER 2009 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD
(B) HISTORICAL BUILDINGS
(C) PROPERTY UPDATE