BRIGHTLINGSEA TOWN COUNCIL
Minutes of the Council Meeting held at
The Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on:
Thursday 21st November 2013 at 7.30 p.m.
I Block (Mayor)
V Chapman (Deputy Mayor)
J Aldridge, J Chapman, D Dixon, E Edey,
A Goggin, G Mann, C Olivier,
G Steady and K Yallop
Tracey Pulford – Town Clerk
9 members of the public
Before the meeting started, the Mayor, on behalf of the Town Council, wished Councillor Olivier a Happy 80th Birthday – for the end of September.
115. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Councillor Russell.
116. TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 17TH OCTOBER 2013 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record.
117. MAYOR’S ANNOUNCMENTS:
Copy of the Mayor’s Announcements is annexed to the Minutes.
118. QUESTIONS UNDER SO 9(2):
The following questions had been received from Councillor Olivier:
Will the Mayor write to Colchester Hospital University Trust and inform them of the widespread feelings of concern and mistrust generated by the recent highly critical report on the trusts performance.
Would he also request a, jargon free, response outlining what action they propose to take to restore public confidence in their organisation.
The hurricane that has devastated the Philippines has provoked an overwhelming and heartfelt response from people in the UK.
Will the Mayor propose that the council donate £800.00 (equivalent to 10p per head for everyone in Brightlingsea) to the Disasters Emergency Committee.
Question 1 – Yes, also a meeting in Wivenhoe 26th at 2pm. Colin would you like to attend on our behalf. CO – yes.
Question 2- Heart says yes, EALC – we have no powers to do so. Urge members of public to donate.
The Mayor replied as follows:
Question 1 – Yes we will write to the Colchester Hospital University Trust. Also, there is Board Meeting of the North East Essex NHS Clinical Commissioning Group on Tuesday 26th November at the William Loveless Hall in Wivenhoe. Would you like to attend on the Councils behalf? Councillor Olivier replied yes.
Question 2 – Unfortunately having taken advise from the Essex Association of Local Councils, the Council has no power to grant funds for work overseas.
119. DECLARATION OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS:
The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
120. TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:
The Payments and Accounts for the period ending October 2013 (as shown on the attached appendix) were proposed by Cllr Edey as follows:
General Account Cheque No’s 705702 – 705728 in the sum of £6,889.48 for payment
Bank Balances – All Accounts – in the sum of £305,429.76
Employee payments paid for the month of October were £10,585.55
Seconded by Cllr Aldridge. Agreed.
Questions were then asked about cheque number 705720 for Sevron and whether or not the Grounds team could do the work, and cheque number 705724 for Chronicle Publishing Services and whether or not it was good value for money.
121. TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE FINANCE MEETING HELD ON 31ST OCTOBER AND 14TH NOVEMBER 2013 AND TO CONFIRM THE RECOMMENDATIONS THEREIN:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record, and the following recommendations were agreed:
- The Brightlingsea Sailing Club are offered a grant of £250.00 to buy two sails.
- Councillor Steady would offer some money from his MSR youth budget to the Support Group for Autistic Children.
- The Energise debt of £650.00 is written off.
- Prettys send the two letters as detailed in the e-mail dated 28th October 2013
- Prettys write to Trinity College to ask if they would sell/release land for an extension to the Churchyard.
- No grant is offered to the Model Boat Club and that the Council looks into purchasing the life belts for around the boating lake.
- BrightStarz could apply for a grant, once their group is established, next year – May/June time.
- Terry Hamilton is asked to set aside time to look for grants for Council projects.
- The new model Standing Orders would be looked at, and brought back to a finance meeting in the future.
- The following amendments be made to the 2014/2015 budget: MSR Budget – Include £1,000 for the website for Councillor Goggin, Move the Die and Soil from Councillor V Chapman’s budget to the improvements budget. Improvements Budget – Re-visit the mobile phones and the cost of £720.00, Ask Ian Taylor of TDC about the CCTV/Video which TDC have just purchased.
122. TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:
These questions are annexed to the Minutes.
123. COUNTY COUNCILLOR LORD:
County Councillor Lord reported on the following:
- Pot holes – 80% of all complaints to County Councillors are about pot holes.
- Part Street Lighting is due to start on the 6th January 2014. Negotiations and discussions are still taking place.
- The consultation for Youth Services is happening at the moment.
- The consultation for the Bus routes is also under review.
- Home School Transport – This is being discussed.
- Police commissioner – Finding out what the Police Commissioner does is not straight forward. The meetings are not open to democratic review.
A discussion took place.
124. TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES FROM THE MEETINGS HELD ON THE 17TH, 31ST OCTOBER AND 14TH NOVEMBER 2013 AND TO NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
Councillor Dixon proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes of the 17th, 31st October and 14th November 2013 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from TDC. Seconded by Councillor V Chapman. Agreed.
125. DISPLAY NOTICE BOARDS:
The Mayor briefed members that an e-mail had been received about an A Frame board that was situated at the Olde Forge, advertising a business. A discussion took place and it was agreed that as this advertising board was not on Town Council land, the Council has no powers to enforce the removal.
126. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBERS WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Further to the written reports:-
Councillor Yallop – Have taken out a full page advert in the Visit Essex publication.
Councillor Steady- The Changing rooms extension has been approved by Tendring District Council.
Councillor Goggin – Attended the recent Neighbourhood Panel Meeting. This is a good way to speak to the Police.
Councillor Steady asked Councillor Goggin if there was any update on the Marina. Councillor Goggin replied no.
127. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBER REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES:
There was nothing to add to the reports already submitted.
128. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS:
Councillor J Chapman – Attended an all members briefing at Tendring District Council regarding the probation service.
Councillor Aldridge asked Councillor Goggin about the Parking Partnership.
129. TO RECEIVE THE TOWN CLERK’S REPORT:
2.1 – Agreed that the 4th Brightlingsea Scout Group can hold its Classic Car Show on the 31st August 2014.
130. MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PUBLIC BODIES (ADMISSION TO MEETINGS) ACT 1960 – To discuss the following:
(a) To receive the Part B Minutes from the Council meeting held on the 17th October 2013 and confirm as a correct record
(b) To receive the Staff committee Minutes from the meeting held on the 7th November 2013 and to confirm the recommendations therein.
(c) Property Update
(d) Grass Cutting