BRIGHTLINGSEA TOWN COUNCIL
Minutes of the Council Meeting held at The Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on: Thursday 20th June 2013 at 7.30 p.m.
I Block (Mayor)
V Chapman (Deputy Mayor)
J Chapman, D Dixon, A Goggin
J Russell, G Steady and K Yallop
Tracey Pulford – Town Clerk
10 members of the public
Before the meeting started the Mayor said a few words about Mrs Barnes, who sadly passed away a couple of weeks ago. He said that she arrived in the town in 1939, and immersed herself into the Community. Her biggest success was the Community Centre – she will be sadly missed.
017. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Councillors Aldridge, Edey, Mann and Olivier.
018. TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 16TH MAY 2013 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record.
019. MAYOR’S ANNOUNCMENTS:
Copy of the Mayor’s Announcements is annexed to the Minutes.
The Deputy Mayor spoke about the visit of the Tendring Twinning, and that the group were really pleased to be invited here. She also thanked all who attended, and also Tracey and Lisa for helping with the reception.
020. QUESTIONS UNDER SO 9(2):
021. DECLARATION OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS:
The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
022. TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:
The Payments and Accounts for the period ending April and May 2013 (as shown on the attached appendix) were proposed by Cllr Yallop as follows:
General Account Cheque No’s 705577 – 705613 in the sum of £24,232.80 for payment
Bank Balances – All Accounts – in the sum of £300,912.13
Employee payments paid for the month of April were £10,482.80
Bank Balances – All Accounts – in the sum of £288,331.83
Employee payments paid for the month of May were £10,347.75
Seconded by Cllr Steady. Agreed.
023. TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:
These questions are annexed to the Minutes.
024. COUNTY COUNCILLOR ROGER LORD:
County Councillor Lord apologised for being late but he had been at a Local Highways Panel Meeting. He then reported on the following:
• Waste Transfer Site – The County Council have not brought the site yet, everything is speculation. They are rushing through all of these waste transfer sites.
• Local Highways Panel – There is a huge problem with lots of people putting in a lot of schemes. All schemes should come through the Town Council fir and then their County Councillor. All decisions should also be agreed first by Tendring District Council. Essex County Council have quite a substantial budget at the moment and this is a goodtime to put in any road projects for 2014.
• Pot Holes – 80% of enqui4ries through member enquiries were to deal with potholes. If you have a mobile phone, take a picture of the hole with the location device switched on on the phone. This will then be spot on, on the map. He added that the quality of the complaint is sometimes better than numbers. Councillor Goggin added what is the best method for adding weight to a complaint. County Councillor Lord replied come direct via me or direct to the highways officers concerned.
Councillor Steady asked County Councillor Lord for the contact from Essex County Council on Assets. County Councillor Lord said he would find this out for him.
025. TO RECEIVE THE NOTES OF THE PLANNING MEETING HELD ON 30TH MAY AND THE MINUTES FROM THE MEETING HELD ON THE 13TH JUNE 2013 AND TO NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
Councillor Dixon proposed that the recommendations in the Notes of the 30th May and the Minutes of the 13th June 2013 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from TDC. Seconded by Councillor V Chapman. Agreed.
026. PARKING RESTRICTIONS:
The Mayor reported that at the Council meeting on the 18th April it was agreed that the Council askes the Parking Partnership what we are allowed, before the Council makes any decision.
The Town Clerk has spoken with the Parking Partnership who advised that any restriction should first be agreed with Tendring District Council, before submission to Essex County Council.
On the 17th April 2008 Council agreed that the restricted parking on both sides of Victoria Place and High Street is made uniform at 2 hours. This was agreed.
This motion still stands, do council now wish us to contact TDC to take this further.
A discussion took place and it was agreed that this was the way forward, and the Clerk would contact Tendring District Council to move ahead urgently.
027. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBERS WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Further to the written reports:-
Councillor Yallop – Country File have been in contact and they would like to do a piece on Brightlingsea for their next series.
Had a meeting with Caroline Wright, who is an artist from Suffolk, plus two people from the Arts Administration who would like to hold a exhibition from the7th – 8th September, using different areas of the Town, including the Hard Shelter, an empty shop, plus the swimming pool. The Arts Council and Essex County Council are funding this project, and the Colchester arts Centre are involved too.
Councillor J Chapman – Nationwide have confirmed they are going to close at the end of July. The Mail on Sunday have picked up on the storey and have carried out interviews on Tuesday, with a photo shoot today.
Councillor V Chapman – Visited the Sailing club to look at their renovation work, including the new showers etc. The whole club house is looking excellent.
Councillor Goggin spoke about the Transcoast Project and a recent visit, which saw 100 delegates visiting the area. Councillor Dixon mentioned that all Councillors should look at the Harbour Commissioners Website and their plans for the future. The Mayor asked Councillor Goggin if the rumours were true that the Maria had been sold. Councillor Goggin replied he had no idea.
Councillor Steady – If you get an opportunity to go and look at the allotments, you should do so – they look great. He then thanked both Lisa and Terry for the management of the allotments, carrying out the spot checks etc.
028. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBER REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES:
Councillor V Chapman – Attending a meeting at EALC tomorrow, where Nick Alson is guest speaker. If anyone has any questions they would like asked, please let me know.
Councillor Yallop asked Councillor Chapman about the ‘no cycling’ sign on the Promenade. Councillor Chapman said she would contact Tim Sutton at TDC about this.
Councillor Steady mentioned the possibility of our workforce having a headcam for when they are challenging people, i.e. dogs off leads, vehicle’s where they should not be etc. It was agreed that this would be looked into via the Staff committee.
029. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS:
Councillor Steady spoke about his report as he is Chairman of the Corporate Management Committee.
Councillor Goggin mentioned the Clacton Air Show, and said that this is a great event to attend.
030. TO RECEIVE THE TOWN CLERK’S REPORT:
2.1 – Agreed the Brightlingsea Scout Group can hold its Classic Car Show and Fun Day on the Lower Park Playing Fields on the 1st September 2013.
2.2 – Agreed the Essex handicrafts Association can hold its July meeting on Hurst Green on 18th, for a ‘Tea on the Green’ event from 5.30 pm to 8.30 pm.
2.3 – Agreed the Motor Caravaners Club can hold its 2014 rally on Lower Park Playing Fields from the 27th – 29th June 2014.
2.4 – Agreed the Suffolk Caravan club can hold its 2014 rally on Lower Park Playing fields covering Carnival Weekend – 20th – 22nd June 2014.
031. MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PUBLIC BODIES (ADMISSION TO MEETINGS) ACT 1960 – To discuss the following:
(a) Property Update
(b) Staff Issues