BRIGHTLINGSEA TOWN COUNCIL
Minutes of the Annual General Meeting held at The Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on: Thursday 20th May 2010 at 7.30 p.m.
J Chapman (Mayor)
M Holding (Deputy Mayor)
J Aldridge, M Beckwith, I Block,
V Chapman, D Dixon, G Mann,
J Russell, G Steady and K Yallop
Tracey Pulford –Secretary to the Town Council
The Mayor welcomed everyone to the meeting.
The retiring Mayor thanked everyone for their support over the past year, especially the Councillors, Mayoress and her family.
1. ELECTION OF TOWN MAYOR FOR 2010-201:
Councillor Mike Holding was proposed by Councillor J Chapman. Seconded by Councillor Beckwith.
As there were no further nominations Councillor Holding was duly elected as Town Mayor.
2. INSTALLATION OF TOWN MAYOR – DECLARATION OF ACCEPTANCE OF OFFICER:
Councillor Holding read and signed the Declaration of Office as Town Mayor; the Town Clerk countersigned the Declaration.
3. APPOINTMENT OF DEPUTY MAYOR FOR 2010-2011:
There was one nomination for Deputy Town Mayor as follows:
Councillor Janet Russell, proposed by Councillor Dixon, seconded by Councillor Yallop.
Councillor Russell was declared as Deputy Town Mayor.
4. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Councillor Goggin.
5. TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 15TH APRIL 2010 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record.
6. DECLARATION OF PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTERESTS:
The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
7. APPOINTMENTS OF COMMITTEES / WORKING PARTY / MEMBER WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES / OUTSIDE BODIES:
Cllr J Chapman proposed that the Finance Committee remains unchanged as follows:
Finance Committee – Chairman – Cllr Block, Vice Chairman – Cllr Russell
Cllrs J Chapman, D Dixon, A Goggin, G Steady and K Yallop.
Seconded by Cllr Block.
Cllr Mann proposed that Cllr J Chapman becomes the chairman of the Staff Committee with Cllr V Chapman becoming Vice Chair and all other members remain unchanged as follows
Chairman – Cllr J Chapman, Vice Chairman – Cllr V Chapman
Cllrs J Aldridge, M Beckwith, M Holding, G Mann and J Russell.
Seconded by Cllr Beckwith.
Cllr Block proposed that Cllr Russell becomes Vice Chairman of the Planning Committee, and other members remain unchanged as follows:
Chairman – Cllr Dixon, Vice Chairman – Cllr Russell
Cllrs M Beckwith, I Block, M Holding, G Mann and G Steady.
Seconded by Cllr Mann
Members with Special Responsibilities:
Councillor J Chapman proposed Cllr Block now has responsibility for Grants, and the other MSRs remain unchanged as follows:
Town Hard – Cllr Beckwith
Transport and Highways – Cllr Aldridge
Welfare and Services for the Elderly – Cllr J Chapman
Tourism – Cllr Yallop
Western Promenade – Cllr V Chapman
Amenity Areas / Allotments – Cllr Steady
Footpaths / Open Spaces – Cllr Holding
Youth – Cllr Steady
Swimming Pool – Cllr Mann
Regeneration – Cllr Goggin
Grants – Cllr Block
Seconded by Cllr Russell
Members Appointed as Representatives on Outside Bodies:
Cllr Russell proposed that the Cllr Aldridge is now the representative for the SENAP, and the other members remain unchanged.
Essex & Tendring Association of Local Councils – Cllr V Chapman
Colne Smack Preservation Society – Cllr J Aldridge
Brightlingsea Society – Cllr M Holding
South East Neighbourhood Action Panel – Cllr Aldridge
Health Authorities – Appoint as and when necessary
Colne Estuary Partnership – Cllr Beckwith
Local Police Liaison – Cllr J Chapman
Seconded by Cllr J Chapman.
All of the above were Agreed.
8. TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:
Due to the year end and start of the financial year, it has not been possible to prepare the end of April 2010 Statement. This will be presented at the next Council Meeting.
Councillor Aldridge then proposed the following cheques which were drawn as follows:
General Account – Cheques Nos 704590 – 704621 in the sum of £29,593.87
Seconded by Cllr Beckwith. Agreed.
Cllr Yallop asked what cheque numbers 704600, 704619, 704620 and 704621 were for. The Town Clerk replied accordingly.
9. TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE FINANCE MEETING HELD ON THE 6TH MAY 2010 AND TO CONFIRM THE RECOMMENDATIONS THEREIN:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record, and the following recommendations were agreed:
• The format is used for the end of year accounts, prepared in time to send to the External Auditors before 12th July 2010.
• Grants programme is set, for decision made at finance meeting on 22nd July 2010.
• Members allowances are increased by 3%.
• Town Council happy to accommodate the Bowling Club moving their boundary fence four feet, subject to full plans being presented and agreement being given, and at no cost to Brightlingsea Town Council.
• Permission is given for the proposal from the Playcentre for temporary accommodation.
• A feasibility study is carried out on the green storage sheds at the Recreation Ground.
Seconded by Cllr Russell.
Councillor J Chapman proposed an amendment to the Members Allowances – to increase from £260.00 to £300.00. She mentioned that there had been no major increase in the last three years, and that Councillors can actually draw up to £744.00 per member. Seconded by Cllr Yallop.
A recorded vote was taken on the amendment:
For: Councillors Aldridge, Beckwith, J Chapman, Holding, Mann and Yallop (6)
Against: Councillors Block, V Chapman, Dixon, Russell and Steady (5)
All the other recommendations in the finance minutes were agreed.
10. TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:
These questions are annexed to the Minutes.
11. TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES OF THE PLANNING MEETINGS HELD ON 15TH AND 29TH APRIL AND 6TH MAY 2010 AND TO NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
Councillor Dixon proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes of 15th and 29th April and 13th May 2010 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from TDC. Agreed.
Cllr Dixon briefed the meeting that a letter had been sent to the Secretary of State concerning application 10/00255/FUL – 1 High Street, and if necessary the Town Council would like to be represented if there is an inquiry.
12. BTC SCHEDULE OF MEETINGS – JUNE 2010 – MAY 2011 (COUNCIL AND PLANNING):
Members agreed the list of meetings, as already circulated, from June 2010 – May 2011.
13. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBERS WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Further to the written reports:-
Councillor Janet Aldridge – Nothing to add.
Councillor Marion Beckwith – Nothing to add.
Councillor Jayne Chapman – Thanked County Councillor Robinson for all his support throughout her year as Mayor, especially with his help with the elderly. Throughout her Mayoral year she has raised and donated £2,300 from the Mayors Ball, £3,000 to Family Support, £500 for Brightlingsea in Bloom and £50 to the Co-Op Woman’s Guild.
Councillor Vivien Chapman – Members of staff had now had a word to the lady with the horse, who keeps riding along the Western Promenade and on the Paddling Pool. Cllr Yallop asked if any more details had been received on the Green Flag. Cllr Chapman replied no.
Cllr Mike Holding – Nothing to add.
Councillor Graham Mann – Nothing to add.
Councillor Janet Russell – Nothing to add.
Councillor Graham Steady – Now things have settled down at Tendring District Council, Brightlingsea has a wonderful opportunity to get its fair share of money however requests need to be sent in ASAP.
Councillor Karen Yallop – Nothing to add. Councillor J Chapman mentioned that she had received good comments from both John Pitt and David Warren about the Town Guide, and that this year’s was the best yet. Councillor Yallop then thanked Lisa from the office, who had helped to distribute over 8,000 guides so far.
14. TO RECEIVE THE SECRETARY’S REPORT:
2.1 Members agreed that the Fixed Penalty Notice scheme be taken further, in conjunction with Tendring District Council.
15. PART ‘B’
MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 100a (4) OF THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT 1972 – TO DISCUSS THE FOLLOWING:
(A) TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES OF THE PART B MEETING HELD ON THE 15TH APRIL 2010 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD
Cllr Russell moved the Part B Minutes of the Council Meeting held on the 15th April 2010 so long as no discussion takes place. Seconded by Cllr Dixon
16. CLOSE OF MEETING:
There being no further business, the meeting closed at 8.17 pm.