BRIGHTLINGSEA TOWN COUNCIL
Minutes of the Council Meeting held at The Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on: Thursday 20th October 2011 at 7.30 p.m.
J Russell (Mayor)
K Yallop (Deputy Mayor)
I Block, J Chapman, D Dixon,
E Edey, G Mann and C Olivier
Tracey Pulford –Town Clerk
Prayers were led by Janet Russell.
95. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Councillors Steady and Goggin, who are both at a Tendring Council Meeting this evening, Councillor V Chapman, Councillor Aldridge and County Councillor Robinson who stated that he has nothing to report.
96. TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 15TH SEPTEMBER 2011 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record.
97. MAYOR’S ANNOUNCMENTS:
Copy of the Mayor’s Announcements is annexed to the Minutes.
98. QUESTIONS UNDER SO 9(2):
99. DECLARATION OF PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTERESTS:
The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
100. TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE FINANCE MEETING HELD ON THE 13TH OCTOBER AND TO CONFIRM THE RECOMMENDATIONS THEREIN:
Councillor Block moved the Minutes of the meeting held on the 13th October 2011 be accepted as a true record with the following recommendations:
• 2010/2011 End of Year Accounts have been signed off by the External Auditor and the closure advertised following the correct procedures.
• TDC be informed that there is ‘no change’ to the Special Expenses Function.
• The Council offers Energise an interest free loan on the amount outstanding, on the condition that they commit to running the event again next year, and include in their targets to return the money next year (2012). Also a member of the Finance Committee sits on the Energise Committee.
• Grants are given as follows: Colne Smack Preservation Society – £400.00, B’Sea Infant & Junior Schools Association – £150.00 and the Museum – £200.00. No grant is given to the Community Association or 4-Youth. No grant is given to the Horticultural Society, however Brightlingsea Town Council will purchase the equipment for them to use as and when necessary. No grant is given to the B’Sea Infant & Junior Schools Association for the netball court markings, as this is not a capital project.
• A sum of £5,000-£10,000 be included in the 2012/2013 budget for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
• The budgets are set trying to keep next years precept at this years level, and increase the fees and charges by 4%.
• The Council supports the Clacton Bus Services and a grant of £600.00 is given towards the service for 3months.
• Town Clerk to liaise with both Prettys Solicitors and Fenn Wright regarding the outstanding property issues.
101. TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:
The Payments and Accounts for the period ending September 2011 (as shown on the attached appendix) were proposed by Cllr J Chapman as follows:
General Account Cheque No’s 705055 – 705072 in the sum of £5,256.07 for payment
Bank Balances – All Accounts – in the sum of £224,397.26
Employee payments paid for the month of September were £10,009.05
Seconded by Cllr Block. Agreed.
Questions were asked concerning cheque numbers 705068 and 705064. Answers were given accordingly.
102. COUNTY COUNCILLOR ROBINSON:
County Councillor Robinson was absent from the meeting, however the Town Clerk reported that he had delivered the petition to Essex County Council.
Councillor J Chapman then informed the meeting that she had received a letter from Essex County Council regarding Martins Farm, and then read the letter out. (Copy annexed to the minutes).
103. TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:
These questions are annexed to the Minutes.
104. EMERGENCY PLAN:
Councillor Yallop informed the meeting that during August the Coast Guard, 2 Fire Engines, 2 Police Cars and Ambulances were all called to an incident at the Hard where a lady was stuck in the mud. If there was a major incident in the town, no one would know anything about what to do. The Town Clerk has e-mailed Tendring District Council, but as yet no reply has been received.
Councillor Olivier reported that he raised this subject 2 years ago with Tendring, and was told that the information was confidential.
After discussion it was agreed that Councillor Yallop would look into this further.
105. QUALITY STATUS:
The Mayor informed Members that the Council very nearly tick all the boxes to reach Quality Status, and the Council should look at the pros and cons of being a Quality Status Council. After discussion it was agreed that a small sub-committee be formed consisting of the Mayor, Deputy Mayor and the three Committee Chairman to look into this further. Agreed.
106. TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES OF THE PLANNING MEETINGS HELD ON 15TH SEPTEMBER AND 13TH OCTOBER 2011 AND TO NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
Councillor Dixon proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes of 15th September and 13th October 2011 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from TDC. Seconded by Councillor Mann. Agreed.
Councillor Dixon then reminded Members of the Local Development Framework Exhibition which was taking place on Friday evening and Saturday morning.
107. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBERS WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Further to the written reports:-
Councillor Ian Block – The 2nd round of grants have been agreed, as per the finance report given earlier in the meeting.
Councillor Jayne Chapman – Nothing to add.
Councillor Elizabeth Edey – Nothing to add.
Councillor Graham Mann – Nothing to add.
Councillor J Chapman asked if it would be an idea to contact TDC and ask them to release the money in the TDC Budget. If they let us have the money we can get on with the work, pay the bills, and then send the a copy of the paid invoices. Councillor Mann replied that he thought this was a good idea and that he would e-mail Peter Halliday and Mike Carran.
Councillor Colin Olivier – In 1996 the Council sponsored a Brightlingsea services, welfare and social residents guide, which was very well received. I would therefore like to include a figure of £1,500 in the MSR Budget, for a new guide. Councillor Block said that this would go before the Finance Committee at its next meeting.
Councillor Karen Yallop – Nothing to add.
108. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBER REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES:
Councillor Jayne Chapman – We have had a meeting regarding the Town Regatta and Boat Show. The event will be run on the 7th and 8th July, consisting of a Continental Market on the Shipyard Estate, Craft Stalls, Art of the Railings, Music, side stalls and a BBQ. We are looking at having fun fair rides near the Sailing Club, and I will shortly be liaising with both Councillor Mann and V Chapman about this.
109. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS:
Councillor Dixon mentioned Councillor Goggins report, and the statement regarding the clash of meetings. He stated that as he is the Chairman of the District Council he can chose what dates their meetings are on. The Town Council always has its meetings on the third Thursday of the month, with Tendring usually having their meetings on a Tuesday. The Mayor suggested that the Town Council contacts TDC to ask them that when they set its calendar of meetings for 2012/2013, they should take into account that Brightlingsea’s meeting are held every third Thursday of the month, as are St Osyth’s. Agreed.
Councillor Yallop then mentioned Councillor Goggin’s report regarding Martins Farm. She stated that his report sounds like it was only himself acting, where as Brightlingsea Town Council was very active, as were other local Councils. At the August Council meeting, we as a Council, agreed that as Councillor Steady was already dealing with Eastern Waste he should continue, why did Councillor Goggin decide to take it up himself to deal with them too.
110. TO RECEIVE THE TOWN CLERK’S REPORT:
2.1 Agreed that the Motor Caravanners’ Club can use Lower Park Recreation Ground from the 29th June – 1st July 2012, and copies of the relevant paperwork are submitted, provided Lower Park is not being used by another club on that weekend.
2.2 Agreed that the Essex Handicrafts Association can hold its July meeting on Hurst Green from 5.30pm until 8.30 pm.
2.3 Agreed that the Boat Show and Town Regatta can use Lower Park Recreation Ground for parking on the weekend of 7th-8th July 2012.
2.4 Agreed that the noticeboard sponsored by TalkTalk would be placed in Victoria Place. Planning permission would also be looked into, if needed.
111. MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PUBLIC BODIES (ADMISSION TO MEETINGS) ACT 1960 – To discuss the following:
(a) To receive the Part B Minutes from the Council Meeting held on the 15th September 2011 and confirm the recommendations therein.
(b) Property Update