BRIGHTLINGSEA TOWN COUNCIL
Minutes of the Council Meeting held at
The Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on:
Thursday 20th August 2015 at 7.30 p.m.
J Chapman (Mayor)
K Yallop (Deputy Mayor)
I Block V Chapman, D Dixon,
D Ingate, J Russell and G Steady
14 Members of the public.Tracey Pulford –Town Clerk
- APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Councillors Barry and Blanche.
- TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 16TH JULY 2015 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record.
- MAYOR’S ANNOUNCMENTS:
Copy of the Mayor’s Announcements is annexed to the Minutes.
The Mayor also commented on the following:
- The recent Strawberry Tea event raised £820.00 on the day, with another £100.00 being donated to the Aldous and Wenlock Trust.
- Three of our Council Groundsmen are doing a sponsored cycle ride for my charities, on Sunday 30th
- QUESTIONS UNDER SO 9(2):
- DECLARATION OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS:
The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
- TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:
The Payments and Accounts for the period ending July 2015 (as shown on the attached appendix) were proposed by Councillor Yallop as follows:
General Account Cheque No’s 706207 – 706229 in the sum of £5,713.31 for payment.
Bank Balances – All Accounts – in the sum of £215,311.51
Employee payments paid for the month of July were £10,583.60
Seconded by Councillor Block. Agreed.
- TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE FINANCE MEETING HELD ON THE 13TH AUGUST 2015 AND TO CONFIRM THE RECOMMENDATIONS THEREIN:
Councillor Block proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes were accepted as follows:
- The grants are allocated as follows: Owls (Older Wiser Links) – £250.00, Brightlingsea Street Dancers – £500.00 towards soft mats and PA system, Brightlingsea Regent Football Club – £500.00 towards the kitchen improvements.
- Josh Finbow and Brandon Buckland are referred to the Edward Sycamore Fund, who may be able to help with some funding.
- The remainder of the money unallocated for the Discretionary Grants (£1,500) would be shared pro-rata to all the Standing Annual Grants. The grants budget would also be reviewed during the budget process.
- If any member had any schemes which fit the CIF criteria, to let the Chairman know.
- Fenn Wright’s are contacted regarding the review of Property Values for the Council, and a fee proposal is obtained.
- Members Allowances remain as last year (Councillors £300.00 and the Mayor £500.00) and the amount unspent is vired to use towards the die for the Past Mayors Badge.
- Revised Standing Orders and Financial Regulations would be made available for a finance meeting in September, including the following amendments:
- Include all social media
- Agenda to include anything else the Chairman deems urgent
- MSR’s to include Terms of Reference
- Copy of the Engagement Letter from Maurice Howard, Internal Auditor, dated 1st June 2015 was received by members.
- The 10×10 ft and 10×30 ft Gazebo’s would be hired out at non refundable costs of £30.00 and £40.00 respectively, and a £10.00 charge would be made towards delivery and collection.
- The Council does not fund a PCSO, however they investigate the possibility of a security firm patrolling certain parts of the town.
Councillor Steady mentioned that it was also agreed that together with the review of Property Values, Fenn Wright’s would be asked to review our rents as well.
The minutes, with the above amendment, were therefore agreed by Council.
- TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:
These questions are annexed to the Minutes.
- COUNTY COUNCILLOR GOGGIN:
As County Councillor Goggin had not yet arrived at the meeting, it was agreed that this item would be moved further down the agenda.
- TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES FROM THE MEETINGS HELD ON THE 23RD JULY AND 6TH AUGUST 2015 AND TO NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
Councillor Dixon proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes of the 23rd July and 6th August 2015 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from Tendring District Council. Seconded by Councillors V Chapman and Russell. Agreed.
- TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBERS WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Further to the written reports:-
Councillor Ingate – Concerned with the lack of white lines in the High Street. Would like to put a proposal forward that we fit another two CCTV Camera’s in the High Street, on the pole already there. One facing down towards the Promenade and one facing up the High Street. Maybe the Business Association could help with funding. Councillor Block stated that these cameras are owned by Tendring District Council, however if we can obtain prices this could be looked into.
Councillor Steady commented that it is really good news that the ‘proposed wall’ at the Marina is now not happening. Councillor Dixon thanked Steve Chick for all his help with this.
Councillor V Chapman – People are concerned about the water on the grass car park on the Promenade. Tendring District Council are investigating, together with the Environment Agency, to see where the water is emanating.
- TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBER REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES:
There was nothing further to add.
- TO RECEIVE RPORTS SUBMITTED FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS:
Councillor J Chapman read out a letter she had received from Tendring District Council regarding the Beach Management Plan. Councillor V Chapman reported that a lot of this was already underway with Ian Taylor of TDC.
Councillor Yallop – Sent an e-mail to Councillor Mick Skeels, who is the Portfolio Holder for Tourism and Leisure, to get Tendring District Council to help promote Brightlingsea more than they are doing at the moment. Will keep you updated.
- TO RECEIVE THE TOWN CLERK’S REPORT:
2.1 – Letter from Tendring District Council re: Part-night Street Lighting. Agreed to forward to TDC the original letter sent to ECC which detailed our concerns.
2.2 –Agreed that parking could take place on Hurst Green for the wedding of Rev. Jean Wilkinson on Wednesday 28th October, provided the weather is dry. Terry Hamilton would marshal this on the day.
Councillor Ingate declared an interest in the following item:
2.3 – If anyone has any comments to make on the ‘Statement of Gambling Policy’ please let the Clerk know asap.
Councillor Yallop mentioned that builders were parked on Hurst Green today, and asked if the Grounds Manager could look into this.
- MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PUBLIC BODIES (ADMISSION TO MEETINGS) ACT 1960 – To discuss the following:
(a) To receive the Part B Minutes from the council meeting held on the 16th July 2015 and confirm as a correct record.
(b) Property Update
(c) Staff Update
Date 17th September 2015