BRIGHTLINGSEA TOWN COUNCIL
Minutes of the Council Meeting held at The Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on: Thursday 19th August 2010 at 7.30 p.m.
M Holding (Mayor)
J Russell (Deputy Mayor)
J Aldridge, M Beckwith, J Chapman,
V Chapman, D Dixon, A Goggin,
G Mann, G Steady and K Yallop
Tracey Pulford – Town Clerk
51. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Cllr Block.
52. TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 15TH JULY 2010 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record.
53. MAYOR’S ANNOUNCEMENTS:
Copy of the Mayor’s Announcements is annexed to the Minutes.
54. QUESTIONS UNDER SO 9(2)
No questions had been received.
55. DECLARATION OF PERSONAL & PREJUDICIALINTERESTS:
The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
56. TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES OF THE FINANCE MEETING HELD ON THE 22ND JULY 2010 AND CONFIRM THE RECOMMENDATIONS THEREIN:
An amendment to the minutes was proposed by Cllr Steady as follows:
• The grant for the Brightlingsea Business Association be taken back to a further finance meeting, as there is some confusion/misunderstanding about the details.
Cllr Russell moved the Minutes, with the amendment, of the meeting held on the 22nd July is accepted as a true record, and the following recommendations were agreed:
• Grants – 4th Brightlingsea Scout Group / Brightlingsea Rugby – £850.00, Brightlingsea Regent Football Club – Not a capital project, Brightlingsea Infant & Junior Schools Association – £240.00, Brightlingsea Business Association – deferred, Brightlingsea Cricket Club – Withdrawn, Brightlingsea Community Association – No grant offered, Brightlingsea Museum – £200.00, Church Lads and Church Girls Brigade – £1000.00, Family Support – Brightlingsea – No grant offered, Brightlingsea Sailing Club – No grant offered, however the money would be funded from the following MSR budgets – £500.00 from Cllr Yallop, £500.00 from Cllr Holding and £500.00 from Cllr Steady.
• The Chairman, Vice Chairman, Clerk and Auditor were to meet to go through the Internal Auditors Report and to report to the next meeting.
• The Councils Solicitor and Fenn Wright be asked for an opinion on the pros and cons of keeping the Lakeside Touring Caravan Park lease within the security of the tenure provisions of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1974.
• Brightlingsea Town Council has no objections to TDC retaining the swimming pool and continuing to run it and that it confirms that it will pay £10,000 towards running costs.
Seconded by Cllr J Chapman. Agreed.
57. TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:
The Payments and Accounts for the period ending July 2010 (as shown on the attached appendix) were proposed by Cllr Goggin as follows:
General Account Cheques Nos 704674 – 704691 in the sum of £4,572.16 for payment
Bank Balances – All Accounts – in the sum of £253,783.23
Employee payments paid for the month of July were £10,405.47
Seconded by Cllr Holding. Agreed
Questions were asked by Members regarding cheque numbers 704648, 704669, 704672 and 704662. Cllr Steady answered accordingly.
58. COUNTY COUNCILLOR ROBINSON:
County Councillor Robinson reported on two local issues:
• Mineral Application Sites – the preferred sites will be announced in September, and they will then go out to consultation in December.
• Have received a Petition for Bateman Road – Mopeds are parking in the road by the school, and my major concern is the students. Will bring up with the Governing Body to ask them to look for an area to park within the school.
59. TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:
A copy of the Questions from the Public is annexed to the Minutes.
60. TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES OF THE PLANNING MEETINGS HELD ON 22ND JULY AND 5TH AUGUST 2010 AND NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
Cllr Dixon proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes of the 22nd July and 5th July 2010 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from TDC. Seconded by Cllr Russell. Agreed
61. REPORTS FROM MEMBERS WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Further to the written reports:-
Cllr Aldridge – There is a consultation process regarding the travel pass. Copies of the questionnaire can be obtained from the office.
Had a meeting with Cllr Goggin and Cllr V Chapman regarding Oyster Tank Road –The surface has been looked at to make it easier for cars to use, and Tendring District Council are going to move the ticket machine to a more appropriate place and install more signage. Tendring District Council has also reduced the permit cost from £80 to £20 for Brightlingsea residents, but some residents of Oyster Tank Road want ‘Residents Only’ parking. After discussion it was agreed that Cllr Aldridge carries out a survey of the residents of Oyster Tank Road to see what their requirements are.
Cllr Beckwith – Nothing further to report.
Cllr J Chapman – Nothing further to report.
Cllr Steady thanked Cllr J Chapman and Tracey Pulford for organising the Council display up the Church at All Saints fair, and suggested that the Council could use a similar display for this regeneration meeting.
Cllr V Chapman – Nothing further to report.
Cllr Goggin –Would like Councils permission to hold a meeting on Tuesday 14th September together with the Business Association, Tendring District Council Regeneration and INTend to speak to the businesses in the Town and would invite all Councillors to attend. Agreed.
Cllr V Chapman gave her apologies for that meeting, as she has another engagement that evening. Apologies also received from Cllr Yallop.
Cllr Holding – The walkway and steps at the pond did start last week.
Cllr Steady asked about the situation of the Common Land in Mill Street. Cllr Holding replied that it has taken nearly 1 year of negotiations. An illegal fence was put up on the common land. Brightlingsea Town Council originally went through the Legal Department of Essex County Council, but has been disappointed with their efforts. We have now been dealing through our solicitors, and as a compromise and to save rate payers money, a section of the fence has been moved back to allow walkers to walk through but stop motorbikes.
Cllr Dixon applauded Cllr Holdings patience with this matter, and said that at least the area can now be walked.
Cllr Mann – Nothing further to report.
Cllr Steady – The Playcentre has received planning permission, but only for 2 years. Incorporated into their costs are plans to refurbish the existing building, with a sensory room for children and an area for parents.
Cllr Yallop – Nothing further to report.
62. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBER REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES:
Cllr V Chapman – Attended a Tendring District Association of Local Councils (TDALC) meeting. Have received an e-mail from Phil Hornby concerning the refurbishment of the cottages in the High Street.
Cllr Goggin – Nothing further to report.
Cllr J Chapman – The CCTV camera in the High Street is still not back, and apparently has been out of action for over one year.
63. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUMBITTED FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS:
Cllr V Chapman – Nothing further to report.
Cllr Goggin – Invited all Councillors to the Tendring District Council Civic Service on Sunday 12th September at All Saints Church with the reception being held at the Waterside.
Cllr Steady asked Cllr Goggin about the swimming pool grant. A discussion took place.
Cllr Steady – Nothing further to report.
Cllr Goggin asked Cllr Steady about the projects for Brightlingsea. A discussion took place.
64. TOWN CLERK’S REPORT:
The following was agreed:
2.1 Agreed that Councillor Yallop would produce a questionnaire to ask members of the public about the quality of Broadband in the area.
2.2 Agreed that members would be interested in meeting informally with the Chairman of the Standards Committee, and other members of parish councils to discuss the work of the committee.
Cllr Goggin and Steady both declared a personal interest in the following item.
2.3 Agreed the RNLI could use the Western Promenade for its Boat Action in April or May 2011.
2.4 Agreed that the Brightlingsea Cricket Club can hold their Presentation Evening at the ground on Friday 17th September, with a marquee being erected, and a live group from 8- 11pm on the same evening.
65. PART ‘B’
MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PUBLIC BODIES (ADMISSION TO MEETINGS) ACT 1960 – TO DISCUSS THE FOLLOWING:
(a) To approve the Part B Minutes from the Council Meeting held on the 15th July 2010 and confirm as a correct record
(b) Staff Matters
(c) Property Update
(d) Lease – Colne Smack Preservation Society
(e) Oyster Tank Road