BRIGHTLINGSEA TOWN COUNCIL
Minutes of the Annual General Meeting held at The Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on: Thursday 16th May 2013 at 7.30 p.m.
K Yallop (Mayor)
I Block (Deputy Mayor)
J Chapman, V Chapman, D Dixon,
A Goggin, G Mann, J Russell and G Steady
Tracey Pulford –Town Clerk
The Mayor welcomed everyone to the meeting. Before the meeting started Councillor Yallop, the retiring Mayor, said that she and Peter had had a fantastic year with the Queens Diamond Jubilee, attending the many events including the Service at Chelmsford Cathedral for the 1953 Floods, and inviting the Chairman of Essex County Council Kay Twitchen for a visit to the town. However the most humbling of all was last Friday when she presented the Mary Barron Ward at Essex County Hospital with a cheque from her Mayors charity for £2,345.
001. ELECTION OF TOWN MAYOR FOR 2013-2014:
Councillor Ian Block was proposed by Councillor Yallop. Seconded by Councillor Goggin.
As there were no further nominations Councillor Block was duly elected as Town Mayor.
002. INSTALLATION OF TOWN MAYOR – DECLARATION OF ACCEPTANCE OF OFFICER:
Councillor Block read and signed the Declaration of Office as Town Mayor; the Town Clerk countersigned the Declaration.
Councillor Block then thanked Councillor Yallop for proposing her, and thanked the Council for his support. He then presented the retiring Mayor with a bouquet of flowers.
003. APPOINTMENT OF DEPUTY MAYOR FOR 2013-2014:
There was one nomination for Deputy Mayor as follows:
Councillor Vivien Chapman, proposed by Councillor Block, seconded by Councillor Goggin.
Councillor V Chapman was declared as Deputy Mayor.
004. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Councillors Aldridge, Edey and Olivier.
005. TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 18TH APRIL 2013 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record.
006. DECLARATION OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS:
The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
007. APPOINTMENTS OF COMMITTEES / WORKING PARTY / MEMBER WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES / OUTSIDE BODIES:
Councillor J Chapman proposed that the Finance & Property Committee, Staff Committee and the Planning Committee all remain unchanged. Seconded by Councillor Yallop.
Members with Special Responsibilities:
Councillor Russell proposed that the MSRs remain unchanged. Seconded by Councillor J Chapman.
Members Appointed as Representatives on Outside Bodies:
Councillor J Chapman proposed the Members appointed as Representatives on Outside Bodies remain unchanged. Seconded by Councillor Yallop.
008. TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:
Due to the year end and start of the financial year, it has not been possible to prepare the end of April 2013 Statement. This will be presented at the next Council Meeting.
Councillor V Chapman then proposed the following cheques which were drawn as follows:
General Account – Cheques Nos 705554– 705576 the sum of £9,184.85.
Seconded by Cllr Block. Agreed.
009. TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE FINANCE MEETING HELD ON THE 2ND MAY 2013 AND TO CONFIRM THE RECOMMENDATIONS THEREIN:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record, and the following recommendations were agreed:
• The End of Year accounts are agreed and signed off by the Mayor and Town Clerk.
• Councillor Goggin would give the Clerk the details of a consultancy firm who would advise the best bond rates that are available.
• Grants timetable (as detailed in the minutes)
• The Chairman of the Finance Committee, Councillor Steady and the Town Clerk would go through the property spread sheet and arrange meetings where necessary with the individual organisations/groups.
• Debts to be included on the yellow accounts sheet at every council meeting, listing the amount of debts owed to the council.
Seconded by Cllr J Chapman. Agreed.
The Mayor and Town Clerk then signed the End of Year accounts and associated paperwork.
010. TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:
These questions are annexed to the Minutes.
011. TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES OF THE PLANNING MEETINGS HELD ON 18TH APRIL AND 2ND MAY 2013 AND TO NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
Councillor Dixon proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes of 18th April and 2nd May 2013 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from TDC. Seconded by Councillor V Chapman. Agreed.
012. BTC SCHEDULE OF MEETINGS – JUNE 2013 – MAY 2014 (COUNCIL AND PLANNING):
Members agreed the list of meetings, as already circulated, from June 2013 – May 2014.
013. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBERS WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Further to the written reports:-
Councillor V Chapman – Have contacted Bernard Jenkin MP regarding the closure of the Nationwide. He is writing to the Chief Executive about the situation. Councillor J Chapman said that she had too spoken with Mr Jenkin and advised the meeting that the petition now has over 1,050 signatures on it, with over 1,780 accounts due to be closed.
Councillor Goggin – There appears to be an issue with Jet Skis in the Harbour not abiding by the rules. He has met with the Harbour commissioners about this.
There is a new management group at the Marina, and all members are invited to attend a meeting on the 22nd May.
014. TO RECEIVE THE TOWN CLERK’S REPORT:
1.1 Agreed the Farmers Market can move to outside of the Community Centre during the summer months, on the last Saturday of the month.
1.2 Agreed the East Essex Caravan and Camping Club can use the Lower Park Playing Fields for its rally on 25th to the 27th July 2014.
1.3 Agreed the Brightlingsea Rugby Club can hold its Training/Recruitment Day event on Hurst Green on the 1st June 2013.
015. PART ‘B’
MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 100a (4) OF THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT 1972 – TO DISCUSS THE FOLLOWING:
(A) TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES OF THE PART B MEETING HELD ON THE 21ST APRIL 2011 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD
Cllr Russell moved the Part B Minutes of the Council Meeting held on the 18th April 2013 so long as no discussion takes place. Seconded by Cllr Dixon. Agreed.
Councillor Goggin asked a question if minute number 232 had been resolved. The Chairman advised it had not.
016. CLOSE OF MEETING:
There being no further business, the meeting closed at 7.58 pm.