BRIGHTLINGSEA TOWN COUNCIL
Minutes of the Council Meeting held at
The Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on:
Thursday 19th February 2015 at 7.30 p.m.
V Chapman (Mayor)
J Chapman (Deputy Mayor)
J Aldridge, I Block, D Dixon, E Edey, A Goggin,
G Mann, C Olivier, G Steady and K Yallop
20 Members of the public.Tracey Pulford –Town Clerk
Before the meeting started, Prayers were led by Chris Bloor.
- APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Councillor Russell.
- TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 15TH JANUARY 2015 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record.
Councillor Aldridge aske the following questions on the minutes of the last meeting:-
- The new parking signs at the Hard – what sort of signs are they? Councillor Goggin replied that there are 4 new signs stating the parking restrictions from May to September.
- The grant of £650.00 towards a shed for the Music Festival – where is this shed to be placed? Councillor Block replied that it is to be placed at the Football Club ground in North Road.
- MAYOR’S ANNOUNCMENTS:
Copy of the Mayor’s Announcements is annexed to the Minutes.
The Mayor also commented on the following:
- Thrilled to announce that the coffee morning held on the 14th February raised £540.00 for the Alzheimer’s Society. Thank you to all who provided items for it, helped and attended.
- The Junior School have also held events for the Alzheimer’s Society – A coffee morning which raised £400.00, and a non-uniform day which raised £200.00.
- Fly the Flag for the Commonwealth – the Junior school will be attending, and we are waiting to hear back from the Infant School and the Colne Community School.
- QUESTIONS UNDER SO 9(2):
- DECLARATION OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS:
The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
- TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:
The Payments and Accounts for the period ending January 2015 (as shown on the attached appendix) were proposed by Councillor Edey as follows:
General Account Cheque No’s 706060 – 706080 in the sum of £10,713.75 for payment
Bank Balances – All Accounts – in the sum of £244,430.54
Employee payments paid for the month of January were £10,244.06
Seconded by Councillor Mann. Agreed.
Councillor Aldridge asked where the picnic tables under cheque number 706069 were to be placed. The Mayor replied in the Millennium Gardens.
- TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:
These questions are annexed to the Minutes.
- COUNTY COUNCILLOR GOGGIN:
County Councillor Goggin reported on the following:-
- The first set of bollards in Brightlingsea Road, Thorrington should be repaired before the end of February. The second set will be repaired at a later date.
- The Library refurbishment is now complete.
- Will be holding a Essex County Council ‘Clinic’ at the Library on Saturday 7th March from 2pm until 6pm.
- Still chasing pot holes. Have sent in pictures of the ones in Richard Avenue.
- TOWN PLAN FOLLOW UP:
Councillor Dixon briefed members that the restriction for parking in Victoria Place has been on-going for 10 years, and is getting no where. He mentioned that in 8 years one change has been made, and the restrictions should be for two hours not one. A discussion took place. It was then agreed that our County Councillor would look into this and report back at the next meeting.
Councillor Dixon then reported that there is an issue at the Hard Shelter with the dropped kerbs being on the wrong side. Councillor Dixon then proposed that the council requests the County Council to look at the dropped kerbs on the North and South side of the Hard Shelter. Seconded by Councillor V Chapman. Agreed.
A copy of the report entitled ‘Pedestrian Directional Fingerpost’ had been circulated to all members. Councillor Dixon then proposed that this report, proposal and expenditure is agreed by Council. Seconded by Councillor V Chapman. Agreed.
- TO CONFIRM THE CURRENT AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE HARBOUR COMMISSIONERS AND THE TOWN COUNCIL AND OTHER AREAS IN THEIR REMIT:
Councillor Goggin briefed members that a meeting had been held between the Harbour Commissioners and the Town Council, and all who attended were happy for the current agreement to continue for another year. He then proposed that the current agreement between the Harbour Commissioners and the Town Council continues for another year. Seconded by Councillor Block. A vote took place: For: 8, Against: 0, Abstention: 3. Agreed.
Councillor Steady then proposed that the Town Council carries out on-going consultation for all users of the hard/people of the town. Seconded by Councillor Yallop. A vote was taken which was unanimous. Agreed.
- DISPLAY OF OLD COUNCIL MAPS:
Councillor Goggin reported that when looking at some old documents with the clerk, they came across some old maps, one dating back to 1890. He suggested that this, and maybe some others, should be framed and put on the wall for all to see. He then proposed that this is taken to the Finance committee for discussion. Seconded by Councillor Block. Agreed.
- TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES FROM THE MEETINGS HELD ON THE 22ND JANUARY AND 5TH FEBRUARY 2015 AND TO NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
Councillor Dixon proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes of the 22nd January and 5th February 2015 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from Tendring District Council. Seconded by Councillor V Chapman. Agreed.
- TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBERS WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Further to the written reports:-
Councillor Mann – Have received an e-mail from Jeanette Thomasson of TDC requesting an onsite meeting at the swimming pool. I do not want the meeting with the Tendring Councillors, I will attend and report back after the meeting. Councillor Block said as MSR for the pool you should attend the meeting in the first instance. This was reiterated by Councillors J Chapman and Yallop.
Councillor Steady – All members are invited to attend the allotment meeting this Saturday at 10.30am. All allotment holders have been invited, and around 50 have confirmed they are attending. A copy of the power point presentation was circulated to all members.
He then gave a report on the action plan for the Bayard Recreation Ground. He said that we have been judged for the Groundsmen of the Year competition, and received some very positive comments. A defibrillator will be installed on the Recreation Ground shortly. This has been donated from a Brightlingsea family, whose father passed away recently. The bore hole is nearing completion.
Councillor V Chapman – Sad news on David the Seafront Warden, who passed away recently. Playquip Leisure will be installing the new piece of play equipment at Pawsons Playground at the end of March. She then reported on the paddling pool liner and that Mott MacDonald are to carry out the survey and will then write to all the agencies to get the necessary permissions.
- TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBER REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES:
Councillor Goggin – The next Harbour meeting will take place on Thursday 26th March at 7pm at the Colne Yacht Club. If any councillor has any questions – please let him know.
- TO RECEIVE RPORTS SUBMITTED FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS:
Councillor J Chapman – Attending an HR meeting next Thursday.
- TO RECEIVE THE TOWN CLERK’S REPORT:
2.1 If any Councillor wishes to attend the Countrywide Superfast Essex parish Engagement Event on Wednesday 18th March at the Essex Record Office in Chelmsford – please let the Clerk know.
2.2 It was agreed that a ‘Recycling Presentation’ meeting would be arranged, but not at a Council meeting.
- MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PUBLIC BODIES (ADMISSION TO MEETINGS) ACT 1960 – To discuss the following:
(a) To receive the Part B Minutes from the council meeting held on the 15th January 2015 and confirm as a correct record.
(b) Property Update
Chair …………………… Date: 19th March 2015