BRIGHTLINGSEA TOWN COUNCIL
Minutes of the Council Meeting held at
The Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on:
Thursday 19th November 2015 at 7.30 p.m.
J Chapman (Mayor)
K Yallop (Deputy Mayor)
M Barry, I Block D Dixon,
D Ingate, J Russell and G Steady
County Councillor GogginTracey Pulford –Town Clerk
10 Members of the public.
- APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Councillor V Chapman.
- TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 15TH OCTOBER 2015 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record.
- MAYOR’S ANNOUNCMENTS:
Copy of the Mayor’s Announcements is annexed to the Minutes.
- QUESTIONS UNDER SO 9(2):
- DECLARATION OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS:
The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
- COUNTY COUNCILLOR GOGGIN:
County Councillor Goggin reported on the following:-
- The tree at Brightlingsea Hall – County had been looking at the wrong tree
- The school application for barriers and a crossing – during November for 1 week County are installing a ‘counter’ across the road, which measures the flow of traffic.
- The pot holes in Samson’s Close have been fixed
- Following the incident on Remembrance Parade in New Street with the pot hole, an engineer is coming out to assess the situation next week.
- A job request has been placed for the white lines in Victoria Place, and these should be complete within the next 3 weeks. Also drawn their attention to the give way sign, which looks dirty and battered.
- Trying to get the pot holes in Moverons Lane fixed before Choosing Day.
- There have been reasonable responses following the consultation for the Waste Disposal. The next stage has slipped two months to January/February 2016.
- The bus consultation has now finished. 80% of the bus services are commercially run. Essex County Council are only responsible for 20%.
- Attended a CIF meeting, and £10,000 was awarded to play equipment for the Bayard Recreation Ground.
- Weight restrictions at Hurst Green – Councillor Dixon is working on this.
- Also working with Councillor Dixon on traffic calming near the chip shop on Church Road.
- Sent through information to the Town Clerk on Devolution. Councillor Steady added at all three Tendring Councillors had attended a meeting at TDC on this.
Councillor Yallop asked how the County was looking at the road calming in Church Road. County Councillor Goggin replied that Councillor Dixon is dealing with this, however the Town Council will have to decide what they want, and someone will come along and measure the flow of traffic. The Scheme Request Form for LHP will have to be completed and sent through to ECC to be put on the list, but these schemes take time.
Councillor J Chapman asked when New Street is going to be resurfaced. County Councillor Goggin replied that he did not know. Councillor Ingate stated that when they surveyed the road they stated it would be anytime between August and Christmas.
Councillor J chapman also asked about the 2 hourly parking for the High Street and what the status was on this. County Councillor Goggin replied that the Town Clerk is going to send through all the information on this, and he will then look into this.
Councillor J Chapman also spoke about a loading bay at Tesco and what was the best way to process this. County Councillor Goggin replied that the Town Council should put forward a proposal, backed by the Town Council, District Councillors and County Councillor.
The Town Clerk asked when the replacement street lights should be complete. County Councillor Goggin replied he did not know.
- TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:
The Payments and Accounts for the period ending October 2015 (as shown on the attached appendix) were proposed by Councillor Russell as follows:
General Account Cheque No’s 706293 – 706311 in the sum of £11,194.55 for payment.
Bank Balances – All Accounts – in the sum of £276,532.28
Employee payments paid for the month of October were £11,301.87
Seconded by Councillor Ingate. Agreed.
- TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE FINANCE MEETING HELD ON THE 8TH OCTOBER 2015 AND TO CONFIRM THE RECOMMENDATIONS THEREIN:
Councillor Block briefed the meeting that, following the meeting with Tendring District Council, the precept request is not required until around the 19-20th January 2016, however they expect to get the LCTS and tax base to us by the 6th December 2015. A discussion then took place on the precept bring capped. He then proposed that the Minutes were accepted as a true record, and the following recommendations were agreed:
- A Social Media Policy would be appendix to the new standing orders. Also a draft copy of the Standing Orders and Financial Regulations, with all the legal requirements contained within, would be available for the next meeting.
- The Audit Report 2015 was noted and accepted.
- Poll cards would be issued for the forthcoming election.
- A budget is prepared showing a 0%, 3%, 5% and 7% increase
- 4th Brightlingsea Scout Group are asked for a copy of their accounts for the next meeting
- The Cricket Club is offered a one off reduction of £300.00 towards the cost of the store shed, club house and square license, in light of the problems they have faced this year
- The Music Festival are asked to apply for a grant at the correct time (5) £10,000 from reserves be used for the Anzac Celebrations for 2016, repaid back to reserves next year.
Seconded by Councillor J Chapman. Agreed.
- TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:
These questions are annexed to the Minutes.
- TO DISCUSS THE SCHEME REQUEST FORM FOR THE LOCAL HIGHWAYS PANEL:
A copy of the Scheme Request Form for LHP for traffic calming measures in Church Road had been circulated to all members. Councillor Dixon then reported that, following a recommendation from County Councillor Goggin, he would like this council to support the comments made by Mr Birnie and the Brightlingsea Junior School, regarding the traffic calming at Church Road. Once agreement has been received, and other information has been collated, this scheme will be processed further. Agreed.
- TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES FROM THE MEETINGS HELD ON THE 15TH AND 29TH OCTOBER AND 12TH NOVEMBER 2015 AND TO NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
Councillor Dixon proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes of the 15th and 29th October and 12th November 2015 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from Tendring District Council. Seconded by Councillor Russell. Agreed.
- TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBERS WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Councillor Yallop added that she was disappointed that the Tourism and Leisure Show has been cancelled for 2016 as it was not viable. She felt that this show was extremely viable for Brightlingsea, with many enquiries at the show and visitors to the town. The Town Council will continue to send out its Town Guide all over the country as it is very popular. Councillor Steady asked if there was an opportunity for a similar show to be held in Tendring, failing that in Brightlingsea. Councillor Yallop advised that she would speak to Mick Skeeles of Tendring District Council about this.
Mick Barry – The Community Initiatives Fund have awarded us £10,000 towards play equipment for the Bayard Recreation Ground. It his hoped that this significant refurbishment of the playground equipment will take place next year, in time for the Anzac weekend.
- TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBER REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES:
There was nothing further to add.
- TO RECEIVE RPORTS SUBMITTED FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS:
Councillor Steady briefed members on Devolution.
- TO RECEIVE THE TOWN CLERK’S REPORT:
2.1 – Agreed that Headway Essex can hold its Brightlingsea Dogathon (Sponsored walk and fun dog show) on 28th February 2016 on the Promenade at the seafront (behind the beach huts to the right of the swimming pool).
2.2 – More information is needed for the Marquee on Hurst Green for a 30th Birthday Party, on Saturday 18th June 2016, as this clashes with the Anzac Celebrations. (Start times, finish times etc).
Councillor Dixon declared an interest in the following item:
2.3 – Agreed the Brightlingsea Junior School teachers can park on the car park of Lower Park Playing Fields on Friday 27th November, as the school is holding its Christmas Fete on that afternoon..
2.4 – Agreed that either Councillor V Chapman or M Barry would attend the Countrywide Superfast Essex Parish Engagement Event on Wednesday 9th December at the Essex Record Office in Chelmsford.
133 MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PUBLIC BODIES (ADMISSION TO MEETINGS) ACT 1960 – To discuss the following:
(a) To receive the Part B Minutes from the council meeting held on the 15th October 2015 and confirm as a correct record.
(c) Property Update
Date 10th December 2015