BRIGHTLINGSEA TOWN COUNCIL
Minutes of the Annual General Meeting held at
The Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on:
Thursday 19th May 2016 7.30 p.m.
J Chapman (Mayor)
K Yallop (Deputy Mayor)
M Barry, I Block, V Chapman, D Dixon, J Howard,
D Ingate, M Judson, J Russell, B Smith and G Steady
Tracey Pulford –Town Clerk
County Councillor Alan Goggin
17 Members of the public.
The Mayor welcomed everyone to the meeting. Before the meeting started she asked if it was OK to move County Councillor Goggin up the agenda, to item 7. This was agreed.
The retiring Mayor, Councillor J Chapman, said that before we go to the election of a new Mayor, I would like just to thank all our Staff and Councillors for all their support and help throughout the year, especially Karen as my Deputy and Tracey our Town Clerk.
This year, although very rewarding, especially when representing Brightlingsea even at the Palace and at other places, has also been a difficult one for most of us. 1st an election, then a bi-election, then co-options.
I think we have all learnt how much we are governed by the legal forces, and how slow the legal process works.
If only we and others could get straight answers – yes or no, I’m sure things would progress much quicker.
We, as a Council, have listened to our public, we have reviewed our MSR’s and Committee structures. We do face hard discussions and over the next few months we are probably going to face many more. We try to do what our residents want and fight for what is right for our town, but we will never please everybody all of the time.
I wish the new Mayor all the best for the year ahead.
I would like to give Tracey these flowers as a thank you. Her work load at times during the year has doubled and there are times it has been impossible to achieve everything that we as Councillors have asked her to do.
- ELECTION OF TOWN MAYOR FOR 2016-2017:
Councillor Karen Yallop was proposed by Councillor J Chapman. Seconded by Councillor Block.
As there were no further nominations Councillor Karen Yallop was duly elected as Town Mayor.
- INSTALLATION OF TOWN MAYOR – DECLARATION OF ACCEPTANCE OF OFFICER:
Councillor Karen Yallop read and signed the Declaration of Office as Town Mayor; the Town Clerk countersigned the Declaration.
The newly installed Mayor then said that on behalf of everybody in the town, she would like to thank Councillor Jayne Chapman most sincerely for the enthusiastic and dedicated work she has put in throughout the year, on their behalf and for the betterment of our town.
I know it has been a particularly challenging year, to put it in Queen Elizabeth’s works your “annus horribilis”.
It has also, on a brighter side, been a unique year. With you being Mayor of Brightlingsea, and Tony as Mayor Deputy of the Cinque Port Liberty and you now installed as Chairman of Tendring District Council. But there’s one thing for certain Jayne, “your dad would be extremely proud”.
She then presented Councillor Jayne Chapman with a bouquet of flowers.
- APPOINTMENT OF DEPUTY MAYOR FOR 2016-2017:
There was one nomination for Deputy Mayor as follows:
Councillor Block, proposed by Councillor Yallop, seconded by Councillor Steady.
Councillor Block was declared as Deputy Mayor.
- APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: None were received.
- TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 21ST APRIL 2016 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record.
- DECLARATION OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS:
The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
- COUNTY COUNCILLOR GOGGIN:
County Councillor congratulated Councillor Yallop on her election as Town Mayor. He then reported on the following:-
- There was a sink hole in Sydney Street, which was fixed within 24 hours of being reported.
- There is a consultation going on at the moment regarding bus fares. Essex County Council is responsible for certain bus routes and times, the statutory ones are early morning and late in the evening. For the last 6 years there has been no increase. It is recommended that the increase is 5%, with an increase every 3 years, then RPI. The consultation runs from the 9th May until 17th June.
- Helping Councillor Dixon with the planting of crocus’s on County land for the Rotary Club.
- A vehicle survey is being carried out by Essex County Council at the moment, at the bottom of Church Hill. The speed survey is irrelevant, it will measure vehicles i.e. lorries axle’s and weights. It will help with the argument of one road in and one road out.
- Involved and helped the Colne Yacht Club obtain a CIF grant for £12,000.
- Footpaths 2 and 14 are to be closed to enable work to be carried out to them.
- Those members wishing to view a ‘crusher’ plant, the nearest site is in Rochford and the suggested date is Thursday 9th June. Those wishing to attend, please let the Clerk know.
- The next Highways Panel meeting, pre-meeting, is on 16th June, and the full meeting for the public is on 23rd June.
Councillor Steady mentioned the Bikeability scheme which is run by Essex County Council, in conjunction with the local schools. He mentioned that they have been in town for the past couple of days, it looks really good to see the youngsters on their bikes riding safely around town.
Councillor Barry asked for the process for representations to be made at the Highways Panel Meetings. County Councillor Goggin replied that the panel is made up of 7 County Councillors, 2 members of Tendring District Council Cabinet and 2 or 3 people from Essex County Council who are responsible for Highways. He mentioned that the category of classes include cycling, walking, safety, commerce, anything to do with roads i.e. junctions, stop signs, roundabouts, traffic lights. Councillor Barry then asked if you can make representation about the general state of the roads. County Councillor Goggin replied that you have to be more specific than that. He said that he is encouraging every Council to attend a meeting, as it is a good forum to put your position across. The budget is currently £680,000.
Councillor V Chapman mentioned vehicles constantly parking right on the edge of the junction of Duke Street and Silcott Street, and that yellow lines have been discussed in the past.
County Councillor Goggin then left the meeting at 7.53pm.
- APPOINTMENTS OF COMMITTEES / COUNTY CONTACT AND COORDINATOR / REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES, AS PER STANDING ORDERS:
Councillor Block proposed that the Finance & Property Committee consists of Councillor Steady as Chairman, Councillor Block as Vice Chairman, and members Councillors J Chapman, Dixon, Howard, Russell and Yallop. Seconded by Councillor Barry. Agreed.
Councillor Yallop proposed that the Staff Committee consists of:
Councillor Jayne Chapman as Chairman, Councillor Vivien Chapman as Vice Chairman, and members Councillors Barry, Ingate, Judson, Russell and Yallop. Seconded by Councillor Ingate. Agreed
Councillor Ingate proposed that the Planning Committee consists of: Councillor Dixon as Chairman, Councillor Vivien Chapman as Vice Chairman, and members Councillors Block, J Chapman, Howard, Ingate and Russell. Seconded by Councillor Howard. Agreed
Councillor Contact and Coordinator’s (formally known as MSR’s):
Councillor Russell proposed as follows:
- Amenity Areas & Open Spaces – Councillors Barry and Steady
- Western promenade & Swimming Pool – Councillors V Chapman, Block and Howard
- Youth & Services for Children – Councillor Howard
- Footpaths and Allotments – Councillor Steady
- Tourism & Communication – Councillor Yallop
- Welfare and Services for the Elderly – Councillor J Chapman
- Hard & Harbour – Councillors Ingate and Smith
- Transport & Highways – Councillors Dixon and Judson
Seconded by Councillor Judson. Agreed
Members Appointed as Representatives on Outside Bodies:
Councillor V Chapman proposed as follows:
- Essex & Tendring Association of Local Councils – Councillor V Chapman, and Councillor Russell as TDALC only
- Colne Smack Preservation Society – Councillor Judson
- Health Authorities – Councillor J Chapman
- Colne Estuary Partnership – Councillor Dixon
- Local Police Liaison – As and when
- Churchyard Committee – Councillors V Chapman, Dixon and Howard
Seconded by Councillor Block. Agreed
- TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:
Due to the year end and start of the financial year, it has not been possible to prepare the end of April 2016 Statement. This will be presented at the next Council Meeting.
Councillor Ingate then proposed the following cheques which were drawn as follows:
General Account – Cheques No 706425 – 706449 the sum of £22,202.21.
Seconded by Councillor J Chapman. Agreed.
010 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:
There were no questions received from members of the public.
- TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES OF THE PLANNING MEETINGS HELD ON 28TH APRIL AND 12TH MAY 2016 AND TO NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
Councillor Dixon proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes of 28th April and 12th May 2016 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from TDC. Councillor V Chapman seconded the minutes of the 12th May and Councillor Russell seconded the minutes of the 28th April 2016. Agreed.
Councillor Barry asked about the Horse Chestnut Tree at the Old Police Station, and asked if the comment made by the Planning Committee at the meeting on the 12th May could be clarified. Councillor Dixon advised the meeting that he had declared an interest on this item, but the tree is a perfectly good tree, with, what he believed, limited life, therefore the Council takes advise from the Tree Officer of Tendring District Council. Councillor Ingate mentioned that the tree is not for consideration as far as planning goes, the council recommended approval for the plans. Councillor Smith stated that the tree is an integral part of the planning application, if the assessment by the arboriculturalist is read, the tree is to be removed to facilitate development.
- BTC SCHEDULE OF MEETINGS – JUNE 2016 – MAY 2017 (COUNCIL AND PLANNING):
Members agreed the list of meetings, as already circulated, from June 2016 – May 2017.
- TO RECEIVE THE TOWN CLERK’S REPORT:
3.1 – Agreed the NEEC Caravan Club can hold its 2017 Rally on Lower Park Playing Fields from 28th April to 1st May 2017. Usual terms and conditions apply.
3.2 – Councillor V Chapman said she would check her diary to see if she could attend the Superfast Essex Event being held on the 7th June 2016.
- MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PUBLIC BODIES (ADMISSION TO MEETINGS) ACT 1960 – To discuss the following:
(a) To receive the Staff Minutes from the meeting held on the 4th May 2016 and confirm as a correct record.
Councillor Russell moved the Staff Minutes from the meeting held on the 4th May 2016 as correct, with no discussion. Seconded by Councillor J Chapman. Agreed.
- CLOSE OF MEETING:
There being no further business, the meeting closed at 8.07 p.m.
The Mayor invited all Councillors and members of the public to stay for a drinks and nibbles.
Date 15th June 2016