BRIGHTLINGSEA TOWN COUNCIL
Minutes of the Council Meeting held at The Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on: Thursday 18th March 2010 at 7.30 p.m.
J Chapman (Mayor)
M Holding (Deputy Mayor)
J Aldridge, M Beckwith, I Block,
V Chapman, D Dixon, A Goggin, G Mann,
G Steady and K Yallop
Tracey Pulford –Secretary to the Town Council
Before the meeting started the Mayor welcomed Sgt Frazer MacRae and PCSO Terry Fairweather to the meeting.
The Mayor then congratulated Councillor Janet Aldridge on the Considerate Parking Initiative winning the Livings Streets Award on the 12th March.
186. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Cllr Russell and County Councillor Robinson.
187. TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 18TH FEBRUARY 2010 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record.
188. MAYOR’S ANNOUNCEMENTS:
A copy of the Mayor’s Announcements is annexed to the Minutes.
189. QUESTIONS UNDER SO 10(2):
190. DECLARATION OF PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTERESTS:
The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
191. TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:
The Payments and Accounts for the period ending February 2010 (as shown on the attached appendix) were proposed by Cllr Block as follows:
General Account Cheque No’s 704527 – 704559 in the sum of £11,962.07 for payment
Bank Balances – All accounts – in the sum of £229,874.80
Employee payments paid for the month of February were £8,899.84
Seconded by Cllr Mann. Agreed.
192. TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES OF THE FINANCE MEETING HELD ON 11TH MARCH 2010 AND CONFIRM THE RECOMMENDATIONS THEREIN:
Cllr Block proposed the minutes of the meeting held on the 11th March 2010 be agreed and the following recommendations are accepted:
• A sub Committee is set up to discuss the way forward on the Swimming Pool, containing Councillors J Chapman, A Goggin and G Mann.
• The Financial Regulations and Standing Orders are changed from the 1st April 2010 to read Town Clerk instead of Secretary to the Town Council.
• Government Investments be looked into further.
• Tracey Pulford continues to make enquiries about the Past Mayors Badge.
• The Chairman of the Finance Committee looks at the current Risk Assessment and makes any necessary changes.
193. COUNTY COUNCILLOR ROBINSON:
As County Councillor Robinson was absent from the meeting, the Mayor invited Sgt MacRae to give a report to Council.
Sgt. MacRae thanked Council for the opportunity to come a talk to Members. He informed Members that he has been the Sergeant for Brightlingsea from the 7th December 2009; he also lives in the Town and is keen to make Brightlingsea a better place.
Members asked Sgt MacRae many questions covering a range of subjects, including dog mess, litter, burglary etc.
After much discussion the Mayor thanked Sgt MacRae and PCSO Fairweather for attending the meeting, and thanked the police for all their help with the Considerate Parking Initiative. Sgt MacRae added that Essex Police are looking at taking the Considerate Parking Initiative countrywide.
194. TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:
A copy of the Questions from the Public is annexed to the Minutes.
195. TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES OF THE PLANNING MEETINGS HELD ON 18TH FEBRUARY AND 4TH MARCH 2010 AND TO NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
Cllr Dixon proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes of the 18th February and 4th March 2010 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from TDC. Seconded by Cllr Holding.
196. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBERS WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Further to the written reports:-
Cllr Aldridge – Attended a NAP meeting on Wednesday 3rd March.
Cllr Beckwith – Nothing further to add.
Cllr J Chapman – Family Support have been awarded £5,000 grant from Essex County Council.
Cllr V Chapman – The agreement for the Town Council to use one of the sheds in car park is almost in place.
The Town Appraisal Questionnaire is currently being analysed. All the completed questionnaires were entered into a prize draw, and three numbers were drawn out. Despite publication, only one winner has claimed their prize. Therefore Councillor V Chapman presented a cheque to the Mayor for £150.00 towards the Mayors Charities.
Cllr Goggin – Nothing further to add
Cllr Holding added to his report that the steps are on the grass side not the water side.
Cllr Mann – Need Councils agreement to contribute £10,000 towards the swimming pool from the 2010/11 budget, as in previous years. Seconded by Cllr Goggin.
A vote was taken: for – 10, abstention – 1. Agreed.
Cllr Steady – Warren’s pond is coming along.
Cllr Yallop – Declared a personal interest in this item, and briefed Members that as the Town Guide, through its advertising, has made a profit of £692.00, she would like to donate to this amount to Brightlingsea in Bloom. Seconded by Cllr Steady.
Cllrs Block, Beckwith and Goggin all declared a personal interest in this item.
A vote was taken: for – 6, abstention – 5. Agreed.
Cllr Block then said that this extra grant is taken back to the Finance Committee and suggested it should be added onto their grant for next year.
197. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBER REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES:
Cllr V Chapman – Nothing further to add.
Cllr Goggin – Disappointing news that the Colne Community College’s application has been refused again.
198. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS:
Nothing further to add.
199. TO RECEIVE THE SECRETARY’S REPORT:
The following was agreed:
2.1 It was agreed that Two Hearts Leisure be contacted for further information of their old fashion funfair, and if suitable the Western Promenade be offered as a suitable site, subject to usual terms and conditions.
200. PART ‘B’
MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 100a (4) OF THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT 1972 – TO DISCUSS THE FOLLOWING:
(A) TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE PART B MEETING HELD ON THE 18TH FEBRUARY 2010 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD
(B) TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES OF THE STAFF MEETING HELD ON THE 11TH MARCH 2010 AND CONFIRM THE RECOMMENDATIONS THEREIN
(C) BRIGHTLINGSEA OPEN-AIR SWIMMING POOL
(D) BAYARD RECREATION GROUND
(E) PROPERTY UPDATE