BRIGHTLINGSEA TOWN COUNCIL
Minutes of the Council Meeting held at The Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on:
Thursday 18th December 2014 at 7.30 p.m.
V Chapman (Mayor)
J Chapman (Deputy Mayor)
E Edey, A Goggin, G Mann,
C Olivier, J Russell, G Steady and K Yallop
7 Members of the public. Tracey Pulford –Town Clerk
Before the meeting started, Prayers were led by Janet Russell.
- APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Councillors Aldridge and Dixon.
- TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 20TH NOVEMBER 2014 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record.
- MAYOR’S ANNOUNCMENTS:
Copy of the Mayor’s Announcements is annexed to the Minutes.
The Mayor commented on the following:
- Read out a letter of thanks from Margaret Overton regarding a recently completed resurfacing works.
- Mentioned that at the police meeting she mentioned the bollards in Brightlingsea Road, which are now getting worse – nothing has been done.
- Thanked all who attended the light up a life service, and congratulated the Hospice Support Group who raised £11,000.
- Thanked Lisa and Tracey for their efforts on the Council Tree, and advised that this years event raised over £9,000.
- Attended the Colne Community School Concert at All Saints Church on Monday.
- Today attended a carol service in St James’ church with the whole of the Brightlingsea Junior School.
- QUESTIONS UNDER SO 9(2):
- DECLARATION OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS:
The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
- TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:
The Payments and Accounts for the period ending October and November 2014 (as shown on the attached appendix) were proposed by Cllr Steady as follows:
General Account Cheque No’s 706025 – 706044 in the sum of £5,901.32 for payment
Bank Balances – All Accounts – in the sum of £293,183.95
Employee payments paid for the month of October were £10,908.05
Bank Balances – All Accounts – in the sum of £265,734.62
Employee payments paid for the month of November were £8,963.57
Seconded by Cllr Yallop. Agreed.
- TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE FINANCE MEETING HELD ON THE 27TH NOVEMBER 2014 AND TO CONFIRM THE RECOMMENDATIONS THEREIN:
Councillor Block proposed that the Minutes were accepted as a true record, and the following recommendations are agreed:
- Maurice Howard is re-appointed as internal auditor for 2015/2016;
- Any member of staff being paid under the living wage, would be moved up to the nearest NJC scale to above the living wage;
- All changes are made to the budgets in time for the next available meeting.
Seconded by Councillor J Chapman.
- TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:
These questions are annexed to the Minutes.
- COUNTY COUNCILLOR GOGGIN:
County Councillor Goggin reported on the following:-
- Pot Holes – Moverons Lane is now completed. The long term solution for pot holes it to resurface.
- Thanked the Grounds Manager for taking him round the town to look at the pot holes which have been reported. Many are kerb defects, which have been dislodged.
- There is a lamp post outsides Doves in New Street which has been taped up for the last 4 years. Have asked ECC to investigate.
- Part night street lighting – pushed for 1am-6am.
- Working with St Osyth, Thorrington and Alresford to uniform the road to Clacton.
- Still the only Councillor out of 70 who pays for meals at County Hall.
Councillor V Chapman spoke again about the kerb stones on the corner of Promenade Way, which have fallen over and are dangerously in the road, which the Town Council had advised the County Council on a number of occasions.
Councillor Yallop mentioned the footpath outside the Brewers in New Street and asked for an update. Councillor Goggin replied that this has now been marked out in red, and dug out, which makes the defect worse. He advised that as there are gas mains, water mains and electricity underneath this defect permission to repair could take up to 15-20 weeks. He has however asked for a temporary repair.
Councillor J Chapman spoke about a recent incident at Well House and how the undertakers had trouble seeing due to the street lights being turned off. She also mentioned the junction of Victoria Place where many accidents have taken place – the incident in the summer a Highways Maintenance Engineer was on site, and he advised that work was needed on some of the white lines and ‘stop’ signs – but nothing has happened yet. Councillor Yallop mentioned that the Highways Maintenance Engineer said the work would be completed within 4-6 weeks. They asked Councillor Goggin to look into this.
- TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES FROM THE MEETINGS HELD ON THE 27TH NOVEMBER AND 11TH DECEMBER 2014 AND TO NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
Councillor Russell proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes of the 27th November and 11th December 2014 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from Tendring District Council. Agreed.
- TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBERS WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Further to the written reports:-
Councillor J Chapman – If anyone knows of anyone/family who is in need of a food parcel, please let her know by Saturday. We have already boxed up 11 parcels.
The Mayor asked if Councillor J Chapman had met our new Police Sergeant as we are still trying to meet with him. Councillor J Chapman replied yes, and he was out at on late night shopping. Councillor Yallop mentioned the recent dog on dog attack which happened outside Fiveways. The Police stated they would not take a statement as it was dog on dog, but now the Metropolitan Police are dealing with it, and the officers are from Harwich.
Councillor Goggin – There is an issue at the Hard with charging entry onto the Hard. Agreed that a meeting would be arranged with the Harbour Commissioners to discuss further.
Councillor Steady – Have been having discussions with the users of the Bayard Rec. The Cricket Club have come up with a draft development plan. The Bowls Club CCTV has now been installed.
Councillor Steady asked Councillor Mann for an update on the situation with Tendring District Council . Councillor Mann replied that he is having another meeting with Mike Carran early January.
- TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBER REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES:
There was nothing further to add.
Councillor J Chapman advised members that there is only one Groundsmen on duty tomorrow, as one is currently off sick, and two are on a course.
- TO RECEIVE RPORTS SUBMITTED FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS:
Councillor Goggin briefed members on bullet point 9 of his report. A discussion took place.
- TO RECEIVE THE TOWN CLERK’S REPORT:
2.1 – Members had no objections to the proposed ‘outside family area’ at the Community Centre.
2.2 – Members has no objection to the Playcentre extending its opening hours to 51 weeks a day, from 8am to 6pm, however discussions should take place with the Grounds Manager re lock-up and other health and safety issues.
- MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PUBLIC BODIES (ADMISSION TO MEETINGS) ACT 1960 – To discuss the following:
(a) To approve the Part B Minutes from the Council meeting held on the 20th November 2014 and confirm as a correct record.
Councillor Russell moved the Part B Minutes from the Council meeting held on the 20th November 2014, as correct, with no discussion. Agreed.
- CLOSE OF MEETING:
There being no further business, the meeting closed at 8.47 p.m.
The Mayor wished Councillors and members of the public a very Happy Christmas and invited them all to stay for a drink and nibbles.
Chair …………………… Date: 15th January 2015