Minutes of the Council Meeting held at
The Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on:
Thursday 18th September 2014 at 7.30 p.m.
V Chapman (Mayor)
J Chapman (Deputy Mayor)
J Aldridge, I Block, D Dixon, E Edey, A Goggin,
G Mann, C Olivier, J Russell and K Yallop
6 Members of the public.Tracey Pulford –Town Clerk
Before the meeting started, Prayers were led by Janet Russell.
The Mayor briefed members on the forthcoming elections for the County Council. She also thanked those who attended the meeting on Monday with the Police and Crime Commissioner. She advised that she had been at an EALC meeting today and had asked Chief Constable Stephen Kavanagh about our new Sergeant. He said that he was sorry he had not arrived yet, but would be arriving in October. Yesterday the Police held an open surgery here at the Parish Hall. One member of the public turned up, but unfortunately the Police did not turn up, with no message to cancel. Last Friday/Saturday there were shed break ins at All Saints Church – please be vigilant.
Councillor Steady had put forward a question in his absence. He asked what the next step is, following the meeting held on Monday. Councillor Aldridge asked what questions were raised at this meeting. The Mayor replied that we would follow up any queries as they arose, and hopefully the meeting with the new Sergeant would also provide any further information.
The Mayor also thanked Councillors Block, Man and Goggin for attending the funeral, on behalf of the Town Council, of Lincoln Anderson.
- APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Councillor Steady.
- TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 21ST AUGUST 2014 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:
Councillor Goggin stated that he thought item 058, bullet point number 2 was not correct. The Mayor then gave an update on the item on how she remembered it. Councillor Olivier agreed with the Mayor and said that he thought the minute was accurate. Councillor Dixon stated that as we have no County Councillor at the moment, the matter is now ‘dead’.
The Minutes were then accepted as a true record.
- MAYOR’S ANNOUNCMENTS:
Copy of the Mayor’s Announcements is annexed to the Minutes.
The Mayor also mentioned the following:
- Thanked all who attended her recent coffee morning.
- Wore the Mayors chain at a meeting at the EALC today. Was advised at this meeting that two parish councils have not had an election for 14 years, and another council co-ops all the time. We have good democracy here.
- Attended an Alresford Council Meeting with the Town Clerk.
- QUESTIONS UNDER SO 9(2):
- DECLARATION OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS:
The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
- TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:
The Payments and Accounts for the period ending August 2014 (as shown on the attached appendix) were proposed by Cllr J Chapman as follows:
General Account Cheque No’s 705949 – 705976 in the sum of £7,369.77 for payment
Bank Balances – All Accounts – in the sum of £215,300.87
Employee payments paid for the month of August were £9,934.25
Seconded by Cllr Dixon. Agreed.
Councillor Aldridge asked if any invoices have been paid recently towards the Clacton Bus. The clerk replied no. Councillor Aldridge said that she would ask Danny Douglas to send an invoice over. Councillor Block, Chair of Finance stated that it was agreed that as Councillor Aldridge has no budget for this, any expenditure would have to be brought back to another meting.
- TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:
These questions are annexed to the Minutes.
- COUNTY COUNCILLOR:
This item had been discussed earlier in the meeting.
- CHINESE LANTERNS
Councillor Goggin mentioned that at a recent Tendring District Council Cabinet Meeting they discussed the issues surrounding Chinese lanterns and had agreed to prohibit the use of them on Council Land. A discussion then took place. It was then proposed by Councillor Goggin that from this moment forward Brightlingsea Town Council do not allow Chinese lanterns to be launched on any land which they administer or own. Seconded by Councillor Russell.
A vote took place – For: 7, Against: 2, Abstention: 1. Agreed.
- TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES FROM THE MEETINGS HELD ON THE 21 ST AUGUST AND 4TH SEPTEMBER 2014 AND TO NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
Councillor Dixon proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes of the 21st August and 4th September 2014 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from TDC. Seconded by Councillor Russell. Agreed.
- TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBERS WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Further to the written reports:-
Councillor J Chapman – There is a high lightening risk tonight from and from 0600-1800 hours tomorrow with localised torrential rain.
Councillor Mann – I would like to propose that Brightlingsea Town Council writes to Tendring District Council to explain our concerns and worries about the pool, to see if we can put everything right before the next season. Seconded by Councillor Olivier. Agreed. The Mayor replied that for the past three months she had been asking that the Tendring Councillors, sit down with Councillor Mann and Officers at TDC to discuss all the issues.
Councillor Mann also requested that we ask Tendring District Council for a breakdown of the costs, income and expenditure, on the pool for the last 5 years. Agreed.
Councillor Aldridge – We did have the best bus service in Brightlingsea. Unfortunately Hedingham have changed their service by doing a double loop of Colchester. This now means the buses leave Colchester 3 minutes apart.
Councillor Yallop – whilst walking through the town, there was another car crash at Victoria Place. Whilst at the scene, Jayne and myself met a man from Highways, who commented that there were no white stop lines in the road. He said that this would be high priority, and done within the next month. Councillor J Chapman also said that the speed the vehicles were travelling down Ladysmith Avenue was worrying.
The Mayor then read out on behalf of Councillor Steady – Through contacts with the Grounds Staff and working with the football club we have been able to acquire a full size ‘state of the art’ goal posts at no cost to the council, apart from the cost to collect them. The posts are worth approximately £4,000.
The Cricket Club have made their final payment of the enhanced fees, linked to the installation of the practice facility of the Bayard Rec. An update will be given at the next finance meeting.
- TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBER REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES:
The Mayor read out an e-mail from Janet Russell, Secretary of TDALC which was asking for nominations to represent TDALC on EALC. Councillor Russell added that if anyone thinks they could take this on to let her know before Tuesday.
- TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS:
There was nothing further to add.
- TO RECEIVE THE TOWN CLERK’S REPORT:
2.1 Brightlingsea Community Centre outside family area – The Council need to know which area they are suggesting before a decision can be made.
- Agreed that a small marquee can be erected on Hurst Green to host a family celebration for a daughters first birthday, subject to the normal conditions including no parking on the green.
- Variation of a Premises License in respect of the Raj Pavillion, 33 Tower Street, Brightlingsea – Agreed that the Council agrees to light music, but not dancing.
- Before permission could be given to EEDA Camping and Caravan Club to use the Lower Park Playing Fields for 1 or 2 weeks, the Council would like to know more information about the club, i.e. how many vehicles, how much each van pays etc.
- Agreed to the temporary Road Closure on the 5th December 2015 for the Late Night Shopping event, covering the triangle outside Tesco’s along to Richard Avenue.
- Agreed that a presentation from Tendring District Council ‘Feel Good About Recycling’ campaign, is not necessary at the moment as a meeting was held only a few weeks ago.
- 083. MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PUBLIC BODIES (ADMISSION TO MEETINGS) ACT 1960 – To discuss the following:
(A) TO RECEIVE THE PART B MINUTES FROM THE COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON THE 21ST AUGUST 2014 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD.
(B) PROPERTY UPDATE
Chair …………………… Date: 16th October 2014