BRIGHTLINGSEA TOWN COUNCIL
Minutes of the Council Meeting held at
The Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on:
Thursday 18th June 2015 at 7.30 p.m.
J Chapman (Mayor)
K Yallop (Deputy Mayor)
A Blanche, M Barry, V Chapman, D Dixon,
D Ingate, J Russell and G Steady
Tracey Pulford –Town Clerk
12 Members of the public.
- APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Councillor Block.
- TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 21ST MAY 2015 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record.
- MAYOR’S ANNOUNCMENTS:
Copy of the Mayor’s Announcements is annexed to the Minutes.
The Mayor also commented on the following:
- The Mayor of Sandwich thanked us again for the reception we held he, and he would like to invite all Councillors to Sandwich for his BBQ, when he has set the date.
- On Monday I attended the national Magna Carta Foundation of Liberty ceremony in the meadow at Runnymede, not as Mayor, but as Vice chairman of Tendring District Council. This was a great way to highlight Brightlingsea.
- QUESTIONS UNDER SO 9(2):
- DECLARATION OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS:
The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
- TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:
The Payments and Accounts for the period ending April and May 2015 (as shown on the attached appendix) were proposed by Councillor V Chapman as follows:
General Account Cheque No’s 706157 – 706183 in the sum of £20,077.30 for payment
Bank Balances – All Accounts – in the sum of £298,864.67
Employee payments paid for the month of April were £10,289.76
Bank Balances – All Accounts – in the sum of £234,633.76
Employee payments paid for the month of May were £10,866.24
Seconded by Councillor Dixon. Agreed.
Councillor Blanche asked when the next finance meeting was due to be held. The Town Clerk replied that a meeting date had not yet been set.
- TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:
These questions are annexed to the Minutes.
- COUNTY COUNCILLOR GOGGIN:
As County Councillor Goggin had not yet arrived at the meeting, it was agreed that this item would be moved further down the agenda.
- TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES FROM THE MEETINGS HELD ON THE 28TH MAY AND 11TH JUNE 2015 AND TO NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
Councillor Dixon proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes of the 28th May and 11th June 2015 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from Tendring District Council. Seconded by Councillor V Chapman. Agreed.
- TO DISCUSS THE WATERSIDE MARINA PUBLIC CONSULTATION:
The Mayor advised Members that Aardvark are holding a Public Consultation on Tuesday 23rd June at the Parish Hall, from 4-7pm regarding the Waterside Marina.
- PARISH COUNCIL ELECTIONS – INSUFFICIENT NOMINATIONS (LETTER FROM TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL DATED 14TH MAY 2015):
A copy of the letter from Tendring District Council concerning Insufficient Nominations had been circulated to all members. After discussion it was proposed by Councillor Ingate that Brightlingsea Town Council does not co-opt any persons to fill the council vacancies at the moment. Seconded by Councillor V Chapman. A vote was held: In favour: 7, against: 2. Agreed.
The Town Clerk was instructed to ask what would happen if the Council decides to co-opt in the future.
- COUNTY COUNCILLOR GOGGIN:
County Councillor Goggin reported on the following issues:-
- Two Essex County Council meetings are being held at Weeley at 6pm, one is the Highways Panel on the 9th July, the other is the Locality Board meting on the 32rd July.
- The Marina has been sold and the exchange of contracts has taken place. Essex county Council are sitting on some pots of S106 money, which cannot be spent until the end of the project.
- The pavement in Victoria Place, opposite the Spar Grocery Store has been fixed, but the main cause of the problem was that one or two of the bollards are missing, allowing lorries to park on the pavement. Councillor Goggin asked for the Council to contact Highways to ask for the bollard to be re-instated.
David Stone asked County Councillor Goggin about the white lines at Hurst Green. Councillor Goggin asked for the reference number, so he could chase this up.
- TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBERS WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Further to the written reports:-
Councillor V Chapman – We are waiting to hear from the insurers regarding the replacement swings at Pawsons Playground. Still waiting to have the meeting with the Officer from Tendring District Council regarding the paddling pool, steps, railings etc.
Councillor Yallop – Have placed an advert in the Suffolk West WI Magazine, which has a circulation of 15,000.
Councillor Blanche – (1) Summer parking restrictions at the Waterside – agreed Councillor Blanche would look into this further. (2) Signs on hoardings at Fieldgate Dock threatening clamping and fines – This has already been dealt with. (3) Opposing traffic holdups, excessive speed and damage to vehicles in the New Street, Sydney Street, Tower Street Area – agreed Councillor Blanche would look into this further. (4) A recent resolution passed a the March 2015 council meeting re yellow lines at corners around Silcott Street/Nelson Street – agreed Councillor Blanche would look into this further.
Councillor Barry mentioned the leases for the Playgroup, Cricket Club and Bowls Club and understood some initial references had been made. The Clerk advised that she would chase the Solicitors regarding this.
Councillor Steady – the CCTV pole is now installed at the Bayard Recreation Ground.
- TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBER REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES:
Councillor V Chapman – Attended a meeting of TDALC. Attended a Resilience Meeting at Tendring District Council – if anyone would like to help with the Emergency Plan, please let her know.
- TO RECEIVE RPORTS SUBMITTED FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS:
Councillor J Chapman – attended an Audit Committee meeting with Councillor Steady. This gave us an input into why the Town Council has an Internal and External Auditor.
Councillor Steady – Speaking to Nick Turner and Tom Howard, the Finance Portfolio Holder about 106 issues in the town.
Councillor Yallop – Attended the Surface Development and Scrutiny Committee where the Clacton Air Show was discussed. Brightlingsea gained from the show last year. Councillor V Chapman reported that the Seafront Wardens are not on duty at Brightlingsea during the Air Show, as they are all at Clacton.
- TO RECEIVE THE TOWN CLERK’S REPORT:
2.1 – Agreed the Clerk would contact Thorrington Parish Council advising that Members are concerned by the down times of the barriers at Thorrington Level Crossing.
2.2 – Noted. If anyone is interested in attending the Planning Training Sessions at Weeley, please let the clerk know.
2.3 – Agreed the council would take up the offer a Gazebo pitch at the Music Festival, however any Councillor or staff using the site would make a donation towards the event.
- MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PUBLIC BODIES (ADMISSION TO MEETINGS) ACT 1960 – To discuss the following:
(a) To receive the Part B Minutes from the council meeting held on the 16th April 2015 and confirm as a correct record.
(b) Property Update
Date 16th July 2015