Minutes of the Council Meeting held at
The Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on:
Thursday 18th February 2016 at 7.30 p.m.
J Chapman (Mayor)
K Yallop (Deputy Mayor)
I Block, V Chapman, D Dixon J Howard,
D Ingate, M Judson, J Russell and B Smith
County Councillor GogginTracey Pulford –Town Clerk
10 Members of the public.
- APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Councillors Barry and Steady.
- TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 21ST JANUARY 2016 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record.
- MAYOR’S ANNOUNCMENTS:
Copy of the Mayor’s Announcements is annexed to the Minutes.
- QUESTIONS UNDER SO 9(2):
- DECLARATION OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS:
The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
- COUNTY COUNCILLOR GOGGIN:
County Councillor Goggin reported on the following:-
- Parking Restrictions in the High Street – the application is in, a job number has been allocated and the scheme has been approved by Tendring District Council. This also includes Victoria Place. They are currently drawing up the maps to highlight the areas affected. The limited waiting bays will be the 2 hours, as requested, and will include the other side of the street as well. This will be advertised to the pubic during March or April and should be in force by the end of the year.
- The zig zags outside the school in Lower Park Road are subject to a traffic regulation order, whereby if anyone parks on these zig zags, at the moment they are advisory, but once the traffic order comes into force, they are compulsory.
Councillor Yallop mentioned the zig zags in Eastern Road, and whether this would cover these as well. County Councillor Goggin said he did not know but would make enquiries. Councillor J Chapman mentioned the zig zags in Western Road, which the council has received a lot of complaints about.
- The last big meeting at Essex County Council was the budget meeting. The Government allows each council to increase by 2% without having a referendum. Essex County Council are increasing the precept by 1.99% plus 2% for Social Care.
- Replacement Waste Local Plan – There is a meeting on Tuesday 1st March 2016 6.30pm – 8.30pm exclusively for councils to attend to discuss the development of the whole plan. There are only two places per council and it would be a good idea for someone from Brightlingsea to attend.
- Trees on Church Hill – As previously reported there is a very large dangerous tree overhanging Church Hill, which lorries and big vehicles are hitting. There has been some confusion over whose land the tree is on – it is not owned by Brightlingsea Hall or Vine Cottage. Have been advised by David Ward at Essex County Council that the tree will be cut back by an arborist shortly.
- Will send through the budget details from Essex County Council.
- Found out today via the newspapers that SureStart (Colne Children’s Centre) at the YMCA is to be closed. Spoken to Dick Matten at Essex County Council. He advised that the executive summary states that the scheme is designed to get to vulnerable people within the community, according to statists it is not reaching the people it should reach. The council are trying to role out a 0-19 year age group, looking at the wider issue. The closure has nothing to do with saving money – the current budget is 9m, and taking it to 0-19 year age group the cost will be 35m. There will be more money spent but on a wider group of people. Have asked for the data to show the centre is not being used properly. There is a meeting in Clacton March/April time. This is a consultation running from 15th February to 10th April, and would urge anyone with strong feelings to make their case.
The Mayor mentioned that the press had contacted her on Tuesday about this issue and had downloaded the document off the web-site. She had passed this onto Councillor Barry, as he is the member with special responsibility for youth.
Councillor Judson asked if notices would be put up at the zig zags stating that they would be compulsory? County Councillor Goggin stated that notices would be going out in March/April and the council would get some sort of formal notice. He suggested that the Council lets the Infant/Junior School know as it is the parents who park on the zig zags dropping off/picking up their children. Councillor Yallop suggested that the notice is put on to the web-site, in the Chronicle newspaper and on the notice board.
Councillor Smith stated that he always gets stopped at traffic lights, when the carriage way is closed, for the utilities to come in but no one appears to be doing any work. There were traffic lights in Brightlingsea today for BT Open Reach – there was a van at one end, and one at the other end but no one was doing anything. Does Essex County Council have an incentive to the utility companies that they have to do the work within the quickest possible time? County Councillor Goggin said he would look into this and would report back.
- Last Clinic on the 26th January was very well attended, and the next one is on 29th
- Apologies will not be at the next Council meeting.
Councillor Ingate mentioned the pot hole in New Street and the claim that a resident had made. Apparently Essex County Council have now asked for a picture of the pot hole, even though it has now been filled in. County Councillor Goggin mentioned that he had received a copy of a claim made on the same pot hole, but this time for a tyre. Apparently it was looked at in February, noted as a hole, but not a pot hole, they looked at it in June but it was still not a pot hole, looked at it in October and this time moved it forward and upgraded it to a pot hole, to be fixed.
- TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:
The Payments and Accounts for the period ending February 2016 (as shown on the attached appendix) were proposed by Councillor Yallop as follows:
General Account Cheque No’s 706352 – 706365 in the sum of £2,753.72 for payment.
Bank Balances – All Accounts – in the sum of £194,981.66
Employee payments paid for the month of January were £10,329.27.
Seconded by Councillor Ingate. Agreed.
- TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:
These questions are annexed to the Minutes.
- TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES FROM THE PLANNING MEETINGS HELD ON THE 21ST JANUARY AND 4TH FEBRUARY 2016 AND TO NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
Councillor Dixon proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes of 21st January and 4th February 2016 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from Tendring District Council. Seconded by Councillor V Chapman. Agreed.
- TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBERS WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Councillor Ingate – Had an e-mail from the Security Firm inviting one or two councillors to go round and see what they are proposing. Councillors Yallop and Judson stated that they would like to do this. Councillor Ingate to arrange.
Councillor Howard asked Councillor V Chapman whether a hand rail could be installed on the steps opposite the swimming pool, which lead down to the railway track, as she had recently seen a gentleman fall down them. Councillor Chapman said that she would look into this and make enquiries.
- TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBER REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES:
No reports were submitted.
- TO RECEIVE RPORTS SUBMITTED FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS:
Councillor Yallop advised the meeting that she is attending a meeting on Monday 7th March to discuss toilets.
- TO RECEIVE THE TOWN CLERK’S REPORT:
3.1 Bert Stocks Fun Fair – Agreed they can visit the Western Promenade from Monday 18th July until Monday 25th July, with the usual terms and conditions, including litter, damage to ground, ground too wet etc. Also agreed to hold the 2015 price of £408.00.
3.2 Essex County Council Replacement Waste Local Plan Team Engagement Event on Tuesday 1st March – Agreed Councillor V Chapman and Councillor Ingate would attend this event.
Councillor J Chapman declared an interest in the following item:-
3.3 New Roads and development – Land off Robinson Road, Brightlingsea – As Brian House court had been suggested it was agreed that, to keep the road names consistent, names would be more in keeping including Wilfreds Way, and suggesting the following:- Sycamore, Stephens and Middleton way/road/drive/court/mews etc.
3.4 Children’s World Fun Park – Agreed they can visit Hurst Green 14th-15th May 2016. Usual terms and conditions apply.
3.5 Brightlingsea Community Centre – Agreed they can hold their fund raising car boot sale on its grounds on Friday 25th March 2016.
3.6 Letter from TDALC – Agreed TDALC has the councils support in writing to the two MP’s for Tendring concerning the Closure of Courts and Police Stations.
3.7 Circus Raj – Agreed they can visit Hurst Green on 27th June 2016, usual terms and conditions apply. This event would be subject to a £100.00 refundable deposit.
- MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PUBLIC BODIES (ADMISSION TO MEETINGS) ACT 1960 – To discuss the following:
(a) To receive the Part B Minutes from the Council Meeting held on the 21st January 2016 and confirm as a correct record.
(b) Property Update
Date 17th March 2016