BRIGHTLINGSEA TOWN COUNCIL
Minutes of the Annual General Meeting held at The Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on: Thursday 17th May 2012 at 7.30 p.m.
J Russell (Mayor)
K Yallop (Deputy Mayor)
J Aldridge, I Block, J Chapman,
V Chapman, D Dixon, A Goggin,
G Mann and G Steady
Tracey Pulford –Town Clerk
Before the meeting started Prayers were led by Major Sue Myhill.
The Mayor welcomed everyone to the meeting.
001. ELECTION OF TOWN MAYOR FOR 2012-2013:
Councillor Karen Yallop was proposed by Councillor Janet Russell. Seconded by Councillor Goggin.
As there were no further nominations Councillor Yallop was duly elected as Town Mayor.
The Retiring Mayor then read out the following statement:
“It gives me great pleasure to nominate my deputy Mayor, Councillor Yallop to the position of Mayor for the ensuing year. She has been an admirable Deputy, keeping me in line and making sure that I have called all those who wanted to speak at Council meetings and supporting me in many quiet, private ways. I believe that she will be able to represent Brightlingsea with all due credit and always looking great.
I do hope you have as much fun as I have had and that you are able to attend as many, if not more of the functions which I was privileged to be at on behalf of the Council and Town:
• Carnival – Judging the visiting Carnival Courts
• Being present at the various dinners, concerts, fairs, fetes and so on – run by churches individually and as Churches Together – the Hospice Support Group – Carnival Association – Scouts and Guides (of all ages) – Family Support/The Autumn Centre – The Museum – the Horticultural Society – the various choirs, musical theatre groups, performing arts schools, amateur dramatic groups – there are so many
• Attending the model boat club’s open day
• Not getting wet at the opening of the Swimming Pool for the 2011 season
• Witnessing the Blessing of the Seas at Margate with the Cinque Port Deputy and so many other Mayors and Chairs present
• Being part of the procession taking part in the Civic Service at Fordwich, Mersea, Wivenhoe and Havering
• Receiving the Mayor of Sandwich at the Annual Reception
• Being present at the confirmation of the Deputies at Sandwich
And so on and so on.
The highlight of my year was to witness the Junior School Council when it came to the Council Chamber to hold one of its meetings – there were an inspiration to all of us in the way the meeting was conducted – we could all take a leaf out of their book on that score.
I would hope that Mr Yallop (Peter) has as much fun during the year as Dave has had in his duties as my Mayoress for the year, especially the less formal events when we have been able to really have a good time.
Councillor Yallop – Karen – have a wonderful year, one to remember for all the right reasons.
A word of advice which was given to me on taking office for the first time, before opening your mouth, engage brain.”
002. INSTALLATION OF TOWN MAYOR – DECLARATION OF ACCEPTANCE OF OFFICER:
Councillor Yallop read and signed the Declaration of Office as Town Mayor; the Town Clerk countersigned the Declaration.
Councillor Yallop then thanked Councillor Russell for proposing her, and thanked the Council for her support.
003. APPOINTMENT OF DEPUTY MAYOR FOR 2012-2013:
There was one nomination for Deputy Mayor as follows:
Councillor Ian Block, proposed by Councillor Goggin, seconded by Councillor Steady.
Councillor Block was declared as Deputy Mayor.
004. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Councillors Edey and Olivier.
005. TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 19TH APRIL AND 3RD MAY 2012 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record.
006. DECLARATION OF PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTERESTS:
The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
007. APPOINTMENTS OF COMMITTEES / WORKING PARTY / MEMBER WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES / OUTSIDE BODIES:
Councillor J Chapman proposed that the Finance Committee remains unchanged. Seconded by Councillor V Chapman.
Councillor Russell proposed that the Staff Committee remains unchanged. Seconded by Councillor Mann.
Councillor Steady proposed that the Planning Committee remains unchanged, with the exception that Councillor V Chapman becomes Vice-Chair of that committee. Seconded by Councillor Russell.
Members with Special Responsibilities:
Councillor Russell proposed that the MSRs remain unchanged. Seconded by Councillor J Chapman.
Members Appointed as Representatives on Outside Bodies:
Councillor J Chapman proposed the Members appointed as Representatives on Outside Bodies remain unchanged. Seconded by Councillor V Chapman.
All of the above were Agreed.
008. TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:
Due to the year end and start of the financial year, it has not been possible to prepare the end of April 2012 Statement. This will be presented at the next Council Meeting.
Councillor Aldridge then proposed the following cheques which were drawn as follows:
General Account – Cheques Nos 705239 – 705264 the sum of 23,901.99.
Seconded by Cllr Block. Agreed.
009. TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE FINANCE MEETING HELD ON THE 9TH MAY 2012 AND TO CONFIRM THE RECOMMENDATIONS THEREIN:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record, and the following recommendations were agreed:
• The End of Year accounts are agreed and signed off by the Mayor and Town Clerk.
Seconded by Cllr J Chapman. Agreed.
The Mayor and Town Clerk then signed the End of Year accounts and associated paperwork.
010. TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:
There were no questions from members of the public.
011. TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES OF THE PLANNING MEETINGS HELD ON 19TH APRIL AND 3RD MAY 2012 AND TO NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
Councillor Dixon proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes of 19th April and 3rd May 2012 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from TDC. Seconded by Councillor Russell. Agreed.
012. BTC SCHEDULE OF MEETINGS – JUNE 2012 – MAY 2013 (COUNCIL AND PLANNING):
Members agreed the list of meetings, as already circulated, from June 2012 – May 2013.
013. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBERS WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Further to the written reports:-
Councillor Janet Aldridge – Nothing to add.
Councillor Ian Block – Nothing to add.
Councillor Jayne Chapman – Nothing to add.
Councillor Vivien Chapman – The Cycle Racks for the Western promenade have been ordered.
The Beach Hut Association have agreed to pay fully for partly towards a CCTV Camera in Batemans Tower.
In the process of arranging a meeting with the Scouts and Model Boat Club to discuss boating hut issues.
2 Porpoises were washed up into the paddling pool recently.
Councillor Alan Goggin – Will be meeting the receiver of Hampstead Homes on June 29th. If anyone has any issues/questions please let me know.
There is an issue with parking at the Hard. Councillor Aldridge and I have attended a meeting to try to resolve the issue.
Councillor Graham Mann – Nothing to add.
Councillor Graham Steady – Nothing to add.
Councillor Karen Yallop – Have placed an advert on the official map for the Olympics, which will be distributed all round London, railway stations etc.
014. TO RECEIVE THE TOWN CLERK’S REPORT:
1.0 CORRESPONDENCE REQUIRING ACTION:
Councillors J Chapman and Russell both declared a prejudicial interest in the following two items.
1.1 Permission was given for the Brightlingsea Carnival Association to use the Town Gazebo for its carnival day on Saturday 16th June. Agreed.
1.2 Permission was given for the Brightlingsea Carnival Association to hold an additional car boot sale on the Western Promenade on Sunday 8th July (Regatta Weekend). Agreed.
1.3 Permission was given for Mr and Mrs Hopkins to borrow the Town Gazebo in June (date not known) for a 50th Birthday/Marriage Celebration. Agreed.
1.4 Permission was given for the Brightlingsea Cricket Club to erect a marquee for a private party with live band on Saturday 23rd June 8pm-11pm, and Saturday 21st July with disco 8pm-11pm (Members only). (Please note there is no Cricket week this year.) Agreed.
1.5 Permission was given for the East Essex District Association of the Camping and Caravanning Club to hold a camping and caravanning rally on Lower Park Playing Fields on Friday 5th – Sunday 7th July 2013. Agreed.
1.6 Permission was given for The Deputy of the Cinque port Liberty to erect two or three marquees on Hurst Green for the evening on Friday 8th June 2012. This is for the evening event of the visit of the Mayor of Sandwich, commencing at 7.30 pm until 11pm. Agreed.
1.7 Permission was given for Temporary road closure requests as follows:
(1) Bateman Road, Brightlingsea for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Street Party on Tuesday 5th June 2012 from 1400 hrs to 2200 hrs.
(2) Bayard Avenue, Brightlingsea for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Street Party on Monday 4th June 2012 from 1400 hrs to 1700 hrs.
(3) Brightlingsea Free Music Festival – Friday 3rd August from 180hrs to 2130 hrs, Saturday 4th August from 1130hrs to 2030 hrs and Sunday 5th August from 1130hrs to 1830 hrs – Mill Street (High Street junction to Hurst Green junction) and Hurst Green (Link Road junction to Mill Street junction). All agreed.
1.8 Permission was agreed for the Colne Smack Preservation Society to erect a work shelter on the Colne Smack Preservation Society’s Dock. Agreed.
015. PART ‘B’
MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 100a (4) OF THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT 1972 – TO DISCUSS THE FOLLOWING:
(A) TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES OF THE PART B MEETING HELD ON THE 21ST APRIL 2011 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD
Cllr Russell moved the Part B Minutes of the Council Meeting held on the 19th April 2012 so long as no discussion takes place. Seconded by Cllr Block. Agreed.
016. CLOSE OF MEETING:
There being no further business, the meeting closed at 7.59 pm.