BRIGHTLINGSEA TOWN COUNCIL
Minutes of the Council Meeting held at
The Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on:
Thursday 17th September 2015 at 7.30 p.m.
J Chapman (Mayor)
K Yallop (Deputy Mayor)
I Block V Chapman, D Dixon,
D Ingate and G Steady
County Councillor Goggin (8.15pm onwards)Tracey Pulford –Town Clerk
11 Members of the public.
- APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Councillors Barry, Blanche and Russell.
- TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 20TH AUGUST 2015 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record.
The Mayor mentioned that the County Councillor report in July Minutes (point 51, bullet point 7) was slightly incorrect, and read out the revised wording. This revised wording would be kept with the minutes. Agreed.
- MAYOR’S ANNOUNCMENTS:
Copy of the Mayor’s Announcements is annexed to the Minutes.
The Mayor also commented on the following:
- On Sunday 30th August three of our Council Groundsmen cycled 27 miles, and raised over £400.00 for her charities. They are now looking to do the London to Brighton bike ride.
- QUESTIONS UNDER SO 9(2):
- DECLARATION OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS:
The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
- TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:
The Payments and Accounts for the period ending August 2015 (as shown on the attached appendix) were proposed by Councillor V Chapman as follows:
General Account Cheque No’s 706231 – 706270 in the sum of £13,097.39 for payment.
Bank Balances – All Accounts – in the sum of £215,311.51
Employee payments paid for the month of August were £10,860.12
Seconded by Councillor Dixon. Agreed.
Members asked questions relating to cheque numbers 706252 and 706262.
- TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:
These questions are annexed to the Minutes.
- COUNTY COUNCILLOR GOGGIN:
As County Councillor Goggin had not yet arrived at the meeting, it was agreed that this item would be moved further down the agenda.
- TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES FROM THE MEETINGS HELD ON THE 20TH AUGUST 2015 AND TO NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
Councillor Dixon proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes of the 20th August 2015 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from Tendring District Council. Seconded by Councillors V Chapman. Agreed.
- TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBERS WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Further to the written reports:-
Councillor Yallop – Will be having a meeting in the next couple of weeks with David Bridle to go through some issues regarding the web-site.
Councillor V Chapman – Had confirmation from the insurance company regarding the damaged swings in Pawsons Playground, and the new set has now been ordered.
Councillor Yallop stated that the ability whirl in Pawsons Playground was still not working properly. Councillor V Chapman said she would bring this up with the Grounds Manager.
Councillor Dixon read out the following report from Councillor Blanche in his absence -Four residents have written or called to express thanks for actions taken with regard to potholes and the ‘Considerate parking initiative’.
Councillor Yallop mentioned that the Considerate Parking Initiative had been looked at before, and the Town Clerk reported that she had given Councillor Blanche all the necessary information about this. Councillor Yallop also mentioned that at the Councillor Surgery on Saturday she was advised of lorries going down Mill Street. Councillor V Chapman mentioned the inconsiderate parking in Duke Street/Silcott Street, and Councillor J Chapman mentioned the parking at the back entrance of Western Road with people parking in the ‘keep clear’ bay during school drop off/pick up times. She advised that she had taken photos and will send them to the Town Clerk to send off to Essex County Council.
- TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBER REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES:
There was nothing further to add.
- TO RECEIVE RPORTS SUBMITTED FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS:
Councillor Steady – Reminded members of the forthcoming consultation on the Waterside Marina.
Councillor V Chapman mentioned that a Crucial Crew event is being held at Clacton Town Hall on Thursday 1st October.
- TO RECEIVE THE TOWN CLERK’S REPORT:
The Mayor read out a letter of thanks from a Brightlingsea Resident concerning the recent interviews which had taken place.
2.1 – Letter from the Chairman of CTB re Town wide refugee relief effort – Agreed that the Council wishes the Churches Together in Brightlingsea well with their project.
2.2 –Letter from Tendring District Council concerning the Proposal on the provision of court and tribunal estate in England and Wales. Agreed to respond stating that members would be very much opposed on the basis that it removes local access to courts and restricts the potential for justice in both criminal and family courts. People will be forced to travel, services will be delayed and children and victims will suffer.
- COUNTY COUNCILLOR GOGGIN:
County Councillor Goggin reported on the following:-
- Local Waste Management Plan – ECC received over 500 responses to the survey, 25 from Brightlingsea. The main comment of all objections was traffic, with one or two regarding dust. During October/November the general public will be given the opportunity to attend meetings. Will report on the full plan as it comes out.
- In regular contact with Councillor Blanche concerning Highways issues.
- Next County Councillor Surgery is Tuesday 29th September at the Library.
- Colne Community School Issues – An application has been put in for a barrier, and some sort of crossing. There is no money in the budget for this year but there may be an ‘emergency pot’.
- Pot Holes in Moverons Lane have re-appeared again.
- There is an issue with an over hanging tree at Brightlingsea Hall. Essex County Council are looking into this.
- The residents of Gray Thorpes have asked Essex County Council to reinstate the footpath at the front of their property, as there is a lamp post 4ft into their garden.
Councillor J Chapman asked if the 25 replies from Brightlingsea for the Waste Management Plan included the petition with 380 signatures on it. County councillor Goggin said he would look into this.
Councillor Block asked if the footpaths are going to be cut this year. County Councillor Goggin replied that the footpaths are only cut once a year. He had looked at the footpath in Elizabeth Way, which looked like it has not been cut, and has raised this with ECC. Councillor Steady mentioned that an e-mail had been sent to Essex county Council requesting information on when the cuts take place, to which no reply had been received. County Councillor Goggin asked for a copy of this e-mail so he could chase it up. Councillor V Chapman also mentioned the footpath in George Avenue which is almost impassable.
County Councillor Goggin reported on the budgets, and stated that ECC are looking to cut services. He asked the Council whether an increase on rates is acceptable compared to a cut in services. The Mayor replied that County should stop the free dinners, and not increase members allowances. Councillor Steady said this would allow them to get rid of kitchen staff. County Councillor Goggin said that this would only make a difference in pennies.
Councillor Steady then asked County Councillor Goggin if the Council could have a written report from him prior to the meeting. County Councillor Goggin said that he was reluctant to do this and anything that is important is sent over to the Town Clerk.
- MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PUBLIC BODIES (ADMISSION TO MEETINGS) ACT 1960 – To discuss the following:
(a) To receive the Part B Minutes from the council meeting held on the 20th August 2015 and confirm as a correct record.
(b) Property Update
(c) Staff Update
Date 15th October 2015