BRIGHTLINGSEA TOWN COUNCIL
Minutes of the Annual General Meeting held at
The Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on:
Thursday 17th July 2014 at 7.30 p.m.
V Chapman (Mayor)
J Chapman (Deputy Mayor)
J Aldridge, I Block, D Dixon, E Edey, A Goggin,
G Mann, C Olivier, J Russell, G Steady and K Yallop
12 Members of the public. Tracey Pulford –Town Clerk
Before the meeting started, Prayers were led by David Dixon.
032. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: County Councillor Lord.
033. TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 19TH JUNE 2014 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record.
034. MAYOR’S ANNOUNCMENTS:
Copy of the Mayor’s Announcements is annexed to the Minutes.
The Mayor also mentioned the following:
- Attended the Brownies 100th Birthday celebrations at East Mersea.
- Joined the litter pickers for coffee, and thanked them for all their hard work.
- Gave out prizes at the Sailing Club on the 29th June.
035. QUESTIONS UNDER SO 9(2):
036. DECLARATION OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS:
The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
037. TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:
The Payments and Accounts for the period ending April, May and June 2014 (as shown on the attached appendix) were proposed by Cllr Russell as follows:
General Account Cheque No’s 705895 – 705919 in the sum of £47,088.28 for payment
Bank Balances – All Accounts – in the sum of £321,665.31
Employee payments paid for the month of April were £10,298.82
Bank Balances – All Accounts – in the sum of £285,821.94
Employee payments paid for the month of May were £10,163.42
Bank Balances – All Accounts – in the sum of £250,578.22
Employee payments paid for the month of June were £10,624.97
Councillor Aldridge said that she had queried two cheques and had not signed them. One was for the Girl Guides and the other was for The Conservation Volunteers. She wanted clarification as she thought the Mayor was still involved with the Girl Guides, and why were we paying a group of volunteers.
The Mayor informed members that whilst she is not an active guider, she does have an interest in the Guiding Association, and as stated when she became Mayor, this was one of her fundraising Charities. Regarding the Conservation Volunteers it was agreed to ask Terry Hamilton for a breakdown of the costs/work involved, and this would be e-mailed out asap.
The accounts were then seconded by Cllr Aldridge. Agreed.
Councillor Olivier then asked why the Direct Debits are not listed for all to see at the meetings. After discussion the Chair of Finance said that this would be carried out from the next meeting.
038. TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:
These questions are annexed to the Minutes.
039. COUNTY COUNCILLOR LORD:
County Councillor Lord was absent from the meeting.
040. TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES FROM THE MEETINGS HELD ON THE 26TH JUNE AND 10TH JULY 2014 AND TO NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
Councillor Dixon proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes of the 26th June and 10th July 2014 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from TDC. Agreed.
041. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBERS WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Further to the written reports:-
- I was advised that there was a problem with the 87 bus service on Sunday and three buses did not turn up. Someone went into Colchester at 10.30am an could not return until 5.30pm. I contacted the bus company an was advised that there has been a change in management and that the service will improve.
- The Pathway from Chapel Road to John Street, which runs along side the allotments needs clearing and is difficult to walk down.
- There is an increase in noise around the streets of Brightlingsea including cars and voices.
Councillor J Chapman
- Had meeting today with the Daily Mail who are doing an article on the bank closures. This should appear on Wednesday 23rd July.
- On the 7th September OWLS are holding a ‘Mobility Scooter’ awareness day, where people can come and try out the scooters before buying/hiring.
- Next Tuesday Essex Sight are bringing their display van to Brightlingsea, and will be situated in the layby outside Boots.
- Also attended the opening of the new Council houses in Brightlingsea. I have been working closely with both families and also Tony Rogers at TDC.
- Mike Carran is still working on the pool trying to get the sand and dirt out of the water. We are meeting with the manager tomorrow morning to see if we can speed things up.
Councillor Steady said we should learn by our mistakes, and should sit down at the end of the season with TDC to make sure this does not happen in future years. Councillor Olivier stated that TDC must have another agenda and they will probably close the pool if it saves money. A lengthy discussion took place. The Mayor then suggested that the three Tendring Councillors get together with Councillor Mann and the officers of TDC to thrash out all the issues. Agreed.
- I am aware of the condition of the footpaths. Essex County Council has had its budgets cut, and we are due one cut anytime now.
- Since the CCTV has been installed on the Bayard Recreation Ground the mindless vandalism has decreased. We have now been approached by the Bowling Club and the Allotment Association to see if we can provide CCTV in their areas.
- There is a Cricket tournament on the Recreation Ground tomorrow and there will be over 200 children taking part.
Councillor Aldridge asked if the dog mess problem had improved on the Rec since the installation of the CCTV equipment. Councillor Steady replied that it has improved.
Councillor V Chapman
- Reminder of the opening of the new playground equipment at Pawsons Playground this Saturday at 10am.
- Saturday 26th July all are invited to the Pond dipping facility in the Lozenge at 12 noon to meet with David Bellemy.
- We have had a few schools visiting the Promenade recently – good to see many visitors in the town.
Councillor Yallop asked Councillor Chapman about the signs for the Promenade regarding ‘no cycling’. Councillor Chapman replied that they are in hand with Tendring.
Councillor Aldridge mentioned to Councillor Yallop that Radio 4 are running a best High Street Competition. Councillor Yallop said she would look into this.
042. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBER REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES:
There was nothing further to add.
043. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS:
Councillor Steady mentioned the street light issue, which was brought up at the last Tendring Council Meeting. He mentioned that someone from Oaklands fell off the kerb and broke their ankle. If there are any special areas for the street lights to be kept on we should inform ECC.
044. TO RECEIVE THE TOWN CLERK’S REPORT:
2.1 Agreed Brightstarz Display Team could hold a fun day (including a majorette competition, car boot sale, mini fun fair and trade stalls) on the Lower Park Recreation Ground on Sunday 12th July 2015. All necessary Risk Assessments, Insurances etc would be provided 2 weeks prior to the event.
Councillors Dixon, Russell and Steady all declared a personal interest in the following:
2.2 If anyone is interested is providing a flower arrangement for the Flower Festival on 13th and 14th September – to let the Clerk know.
045. MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PUBLIC BODIES (ADMISSION TO MEETINGS) ACT 1960 – To discuss the following:
(A) TO RECEIVE THE PART B MINUTES FROM THE COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON THE 19TH JUNE AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD.
(B) TO RECEIVE THE STAFF MINUTES FROM THE COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON THE 10TH JULY AND CONIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD.
(C) PROPERTY UPDATE