BRIGHTLINGSEA TOWN COUNCIL

Minutes of the Council Meeting held at The Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on:
Thursday 16th July 2009 at 7.30 p.m.

Present:
Councillors
J Chapman (Mayor)
M Holding (Deputy Mayor)
J Aldridge, M Beckwith, I Block, V Chapman (8.45 pm onwards)   
D Dixon, A Goggin, G Mann, J Russell,
G Steady and K Yallop

In attendance:
Tracey Pulford –Secretary to the Town Council

33. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: County V Chapman, who would be arriving late.

34. TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 18TH JUNE 2009 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:

Cllr Holding mentioned item 25 (page 7) and that under his report it was actually the Bull that was intimidating.

The Minutes were then accepted as a true record.

35. MAYOR’S ANNOUNCMENTS:

A copy of the Mayor’s Announcements is annexed to the Minutes.
 
36. DECLARATION OF PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTERESTS:

The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
 
37. TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:

The accounts for the period ending April, May and June 2009 were proposed by Cllr Steady as follows:

General Account – Cheques Nos 704344 – 704371 in the sum of £7,009.99 for payment

April 2009
Bank Balances – All Accounts – in the sum of £294,251.03
Salaries paid for the month of April were £8,628.59

May 2009
Bank Balances – All Accounts – in the sum of £269,300.13
Salaries paid for the month of May were £8,342.53

June 2009
Bank Balances – All Accounts – in the sum of £261,453.58
Salaries paid for the month of June were £9,368.58

Seconded by Cllr Mann

38. COUNTY COUNCILLOR ROBINSON:
  
County Councillor Robinson reported on the following local issues:
• Social Care – the length of time taken for an assessment has been reduced from 2 months to 4 weeks.
• Was contacted by the Council Office asking me to go and speak to a resident about the implementation of the parking restrictions in the High Street.
• A street light in Pyefleet Close that has been removed is to be reinstated shortly.
• Received a phone call today from a resident in Bellfield Avenue concerning the Cedrics bus service.  Apparently the buses due at 10.25 and 10.50 am did not show up. After contacting the Cedrics office was told that this was due to problems in Colchester – the bus went as far as Wivenhoe and turned around to go back to Colchester.  When asked if this was their policy not to come to Brightlingsea, they replied “if you don’t like it we will withdraw the service altogether.”
 
39. TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:

These questions are annexed to the Minutes.

40. TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES OF THE PLANNING MEETINGS HELD ON 25TH JUNE AND 9TH JULY 2009 AND TO NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
 
Councillor Dixon proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes of 25th June and 9th July 2009 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from TDC.  Agreed. 

Cllr Holding spoke about the application for the rear of 75 Tower Street, Lime Street and that he will speak, on behalf of the Town Council, at the planning meeting at Tendring.

41. SEALING OF RENEWEDL LEASE FOR THE RESERVE FORCES AND CADETS ASSOCIATION:

The document relating to the lease between the Town Council and the Reserve Forces and  Cadets Association was sealed and signed by the Mayor and the Secretary to the Town  Council.

42. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBERS WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Further to the written reports:- 

Cllr Aldridge – MSR for Highways and Transport – North Road – residents cannot use their  driveways because of the way cars are parking.  There are 25 houses with drives in North  Road, and most are not being used.  In conjunction with TDC we may prepare a leaflet drop,  asking people to think about how they are parking, and not park too close to someone’s drive.

There is a parking problem at the top Queen Street (junction with Spring Road and Regent  Road), with cars parking at the top.  Would like to contact ECC about the possibility of  putting in 12 metres of yellow lines – agreed.

A discussion took place on Sydney Street, and the general parking problems in that area. 

Cllr Beckwith – MSR for the Hard – Attended the Stakeholder Essex Shoreline Management  Meeting.

Cllr J Chapman – MSR for Welfare and Services for the Elderly – Nothing further to report.

Cllr Goggin – MSR for Regeneration and Web-Site – Asked members to have look at the new web-site, www.brightlingseatowncouncil.co.uk and suggested a meeting is set up to go  though how the web-site is run.  Date suggested as Tuesday 28th July at 7pm.

Cllr Holding – MSR for Footpaths and Open Spaces – The footpath by the School, one in  Chapel Road and two others are due to be upgraded soon.

Cllr Yallop asked Cllr Holding who owns the path by the sewage works, as quad bikes are  using it.  Are they allowed?  Cllr Holding replied that this is owned by the Environment  Agency.

Cllr Steady asked Cllr Holding that when he is in discussion with the scouts etc could he go through him as MSR for youth.  The Mayor reiterated that when working on a project make  sure you invite the MSR for that area to also be involved.

Cllr Yallop mentioned Manor Wood and that last Sunday she walked through and filled three  black bin bags full of rubbish.  Cllr Steady said that this wood is owned by Essex County  Council, however a meeting is being planned for the sometime in the new term with the  Community School to talk through varies issues.

Cllr G Mann – MSR for the Swimming Pool – Have received numerous complaints about the  swimming pool and its staff.  Have met with Mike Curran of TDC to discuss all of  these issues. 

Cllr Russell– MSR for Grants – Nothing further to report.

Cllr Steady – MSR for Allotments and Amenity Areas and Youth – The Colne Community  School had an American Exchange Student visit, which the Town Council knew nothing  about.  We contacted the school over this, and this was an oversight.

Cllr Steady briefed members on the condition of Warrens Pond and floated the idea of the  Town Council helping with the management of the pond, in conjunction with the current  management team.  After discussion it was agreed that Tracey Pulford would contact the  Internal Auditor to clarify the legal position.

Cllr Yallop – MSR for Tourism – Nothing further to report.  Cllr Russell congratulated Cllr  Yallop for all her efforts at the Tendring Hundred Show.

Cllr V Chapman joined the meeting at 8.45 pm.

43. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBER REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES:
 
Cllr J Chapman – A meeting has been set up for Tuesday 4th August at 10.30 am at the Parish  Hall for all Councillors to meet the new Sergeant, Sgt Deex.
 
44. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS:
 
Cllr V Chapman – A Flood Fair/Emergency Meeting being organised for the 10th September  at the Community Centre.

Cllr Goggin spoke about the ongoing issue of the Music Festival and the toilets.  Cllr V  Chapman said that this was all in hand and Tendring District Council have waived the charge  for this years event.

45. TO RECEIVE THE SECRETARY’S REPORT: 

2.1 – Agreed a marquee could be erected on Hurst Green to celebrate a christening, at a cost of £50.00
2.2 – Agreed the Caravan could visit Brightlingsea from the 17th to the 20th June 2010.

46. PART ‘B’

MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 100a (4) OF THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT 1972 – TO DISCUSS THE FOLLOWING:
(A) TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE PART B MINUTES FROM THE COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON THE 18TH JUNE 2009:
(B) TO RECEIVE THE PART B MINUTES FROM THE FINANCE COMMITTEE HELD ON THE 25TH JUNE AND 9TH JULY 2009, AND CONFIRM THE RECOMMENDATIONS THEREIN.
(C) STAFFING MATTERS
(D) PROPERTY