BRIGHTLINGSEA TOWN COUNCIL
Minutes of the Council Meeting held at
The Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on:
Thursday 16th July 2015 at 7.30 p.m.
J Chapman (Mayor)
K Yallop (Deputy Mayor)
M Barry, A Blanche, I Block V Chapman,
D Dixon, D Ingate, J Russell and G Steady
15 Members of the public.Tracey Pulford –Town Clerk
Before the meeting started the Mayor presented Sue Myhill of the Salvation Army with a gift and thanked her for all she has done for the Town in the last 7 years. She wished her well with her new start in Canvey Island.
Sue responded saying that Brightlingsea is a special town. She has been here for 7 years, and a Salvation Army Officer for 24 – this has been the best community she has worked in, and she will miss Brightlingsea.
- APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: None received.
- TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 18TH JUNE 2015 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record.
- MAYOR’S ANNOUNCMENTS:
Copy of the Mayor’s Announcements is annexed to the Minutes.
The Mayor also commented on the following:
- Congratulations to Brightlingsea in Bloom and the town for winning Class 1 of the Best Kept Village Competition.
- QUESTIONS UNDER SO 9(2):
- DECLARATION OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS:
The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
- TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:
The Payments and Accounts for the period ending June 2015 (as shown on the attached appendix) were proposed by Councillor Russell as follows:
General Account Cheque No’s 706184 – 706206 in the sum of £5,523.66 for payment.
Employee payments paid for the month of June were £10,749.28
Seconded by Councillor J Chapman. Agreed.
Councillor Steady asked about the cheque for The Press Gang, and how many months this payment was for. The Clerk replied that this was for 6 months. Councillor Yallop stated that she will be meeting with David Bridle in the next few weeks to talk about the web-site.
- TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:
These questions are annexed to the Minutes.
- COUNTY COUNCILLOR GOGGIN:
As County Councillor Goggin had not yet arrived at the meeting, it was agreed that this item would be moved further down the agenda.
- TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES FROM THE MEETINGS HELD ON THE 25TH JUNE AND 9TH JULY 2015 AND TO NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
Councillor Dixon proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes of the 25th June and 9th July 2015 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from Tendring District Council. Seconded by Councillor V Chapman. Agreed.
- APPOINTMENT OF REPRESENTATIVE ON OUTSIDE BODIES AS PER STANDING ORDERS:- CHURCHYARD COMMITTEE:
The Mayor reported that, until the last election, the Council have always had three members sitting on the Churchyard Committee. A discussion took place. It was then agreed that, at the moment, only two Councillors would sit on this committee.
- TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBERS WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Further to the written reports:-
Councillor V Chapman – A meeting was held yesterday with officers of Tendring District Council concerning the paddling pool. A survey was carried out in March, a copy of which we hadn’t received, a copy will now be sent to the Clerk. Originally the cost of replacing the liner started at £40,000, the cost then escalated to £100,000, but according to the officer this is now in the region of £800,000, therefor it is not in anyway viable for TDC. Therefore it has been suggested by Tendring District Council that a Beach Management Plan is put in place. Councillor Steady also commented on the meeting. He reiterated that it was a good meeting and he spoke about possible funding. After discussion it was agreed that a letter would be sent to Nick Turner of TDC advising that the Town Council would work with Tendring District Council on a beach management plan. Also the possibility of S106 monies being ring fenced to help with match funding.
Councillor Barry – The Mayor has helped in obtaining a grant from the Co-Op to go towards a new Mobility Roundabout for the Bayard Recreation Ground.
Received one formal reply from 4-Youth, and am looking forward to meeting with all youth organisations within the town.
Councillor Yallop – Next year is the Queen’s 90th Birthday, and this will become a National Event. Would therefore like to set up a committee to help celebrate in Brightlingsea, similar to the Jubilee events. Agreed.
Councillor Block – Receiving moans and groans about the cleanliness of the pool, toilets and shower block. Have reported this to TDC.
Councillor Ingate – Had a meeting today with Des Rowson of the Business Association and some good ideas were discussed.
Councillor Blanche – Thanked Lisa for all her help with the lists of reported pot holes. This list of reported problems has been forwarded to the Cabinet Member at Essex County Council. At the recent Councillor Surgery everyone who attended was complaining about the condition of our roads.
Councillor J Chapman – Attended the Co-Op Women’s Guild meeting last evening. Apparently all the Co-Op Women’s Guild in the Country are being closed from June next year. All funding is being withdrawn. Brightlingsea are going to try and carry on under another name, but will lose their £500.00 a year grant.
Councillor Steady – The footpaths in the town are only cut once a year by Essex County Council, so am talking to different groups to see if we can do anything about this. Also looking to reconstitute a volunteer group.
- TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBER REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES:
Councillor V Chapman – The minutes of the recent TDALC meeting are available if anyone wants to see them.
- TO RECEIVE RPORTS SUBMITTED FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS:
There was nothing further to add.
- COUNTY COUNCILLOR GOGGIN:
County Councillor Goggin apologised for being late, but he had been at the St Osyth Council meeting first. He then reported on the following issues:-
- Working with a local resident, and a Councillor on a problem in Samson’s Close. The pot holes were originally reported on the 22nd May and looked at on the 12th There are 15 pot holes in total, individually none qualify as a pot hole, so technically there are no pot holes in Samson’s Close. Have gone back to ECC to see if something can be done.
- The white lines at Hurst Green have been re-painted, but the ones in Victoria Place have not been done yet.
- At the last meeting a railway crossing survey was mentioned. Great Bentley have carried out their own survey, and found the results hugely disappointing, the gates were never down more than 4 minutes at any one time.
- Attended a Highways Panel meting on 9th All the money for this year has now been allocated, so if anyone has any schemes for next year, get them into to ECC.
- Working with the Colne Community School who have asked for a zebra crossing and barriers outside the school. The application has gone in to ECC.
- Meals on Wheels – Essex County Council are looking at alternative suppliers.
- Essex County Council have put in recommendation to impose 20mph speed limits on all residential roads. The Conservatives voted against it, however I voted in favour of saying to local council’s if they can justify the 20mph they would look at it favourably.
- There is a consultation out on the Joint Replacement Waste Local Plan – Preferred Approach June 2015, running from 18th June until the 30th A discussion took place on this consultation.
- TO RECEIVE THE TOWN CLERK’S REPORT:
Councillor Yallop declared an interest in the following item and took no part in any discussion.
2.1 –Agreed the Town Council would back an application by Brightlingsea Health Project Limited for inclusion in the pharmaceutical list at 3a Woodlands Business Park, Tenpenny Hill, Thorrington, in respect of a distance selling pharmacy.
Councillors J Chapman and Russell both declared an interest in the following item:
2.2 – Agreed the Suffolk Caravan Club can hold its 2016 rally on Lower Park Playing Fields on 17th – 19th June 2016.
2.3 – Agreed the Essex MCC (Motor Caravanners’ Club) can hold its 2016 rally on Lower Park Playing Fields on 24th – 26th June 2016.
2.4 – Agreed EEDA (East Essex District Association of the Camping and Caravanning Club) can hold its 2016 rally on Lower park playing Fields on 26th – 29th August 2016.
2.5 – Agreed the Brightlingsea Sailing Club can use the Lower Park Recreation Ground on 25th – 27th September 2015 for its members to camp on during the Royal Yachting Association’s Zone Championships. This would be provided free of charge.
Councillor V Chapman mentioned that the War Memorial is now listed as a Grade II Listed Building.
- MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PUBLIC BODIES (ADMISSION TO MEETINGS) ACT 1960 – To discuss the following:
(a) To receive the Part B Minutes from the council meeting held on the 18th June 2015 and confirm as a correct record.
(b) Property Update
Date 20th August 2015