BRIGHTLINGSEA TOWN COUNCIL
Minutes of the Council Meeting held at
The Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on:
Thursday 16th April 2015 at 7.30 p.m.
V Chapman (Mayor)
J Chapman (Deputy Mayor)
J Aldridge, I Block, E Edey, A Goggin,
G Mann, C Olivier, J Russell, G Steady and K Yallop
Tracey Pulford –Town Clerk
14 Members of the public.
- APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Councillor Dixon.
- TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 19TH MARCH 2015 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record.
- MAYOR’S ANNOUNCMENTS:
Copy of the Mayor’s Announcements is annexed to the Minutes.
The Mayor also commented on the following:
- Attended the Civic Visit and Tour of Hylands House in Chelmsford, which was very interesting.
- Attended the Easter Party for the Saturday Club. Congratulated them for all the hard work they do.
- This is the last Council meeting of the current council. My year as Mayor has flown by and I can’t believe I will be handing over the chain next month. Thanks go to Colin, Janet, Graham, Liz and Alan for all you have contributed over the years, and we wish you well for the future.
- On Wednesday 6th May there is a Police Community Meeting at the Parish Hall at 7pm. PCSO Sue Groves, Dan Heard, Paul Gale and possibly an Inspector will be in attendance.
- The two bad pot holes in Richard Avenue were fixed on Tuesday.
- Reminder of the VE Parade on Sunday 10th May at 11.45am at the War Memorial.
- QUESTIONS UNDER SO 9(2):
- DECLARATION OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS:
The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
- TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:
The Payments and Accounts for the period ending March 2015 (as shown on the attached appendix) were proposed by Councillor J Chapman as follows:
General Account Cheque No’s 706104 – 706125 in the sum of £11,635.55 for payment
Bank Balances – All Accounts – in the sum of £215,404.45
Employee payments paid for the month of March were £10,373.72
Seconded by Councillor Russell. Agreed.
- 195. TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:
These questions are annexed to the Minutes.
- RESCISSION OF PREVIOUS RESOLUTIONS SO12(A)
The Mayor read out the following resolution:
“We the undersigned request under Standing Order 12a that the Hard is an agenda item for the next full Council meeting. This is to allow us to formally request another meeting enabling us to revisit the proposals of the Harbour commissioners charges and request all information from all parties be made available for further discussion and draw it to a final conclusion”
This motion was signed by Councillors Block, Mann, J Chapman, Yallop, Steady, Aldridge, Russell and Olivier
Councillor J Chapman then said that the request is to book a meeting. Feedback from the public is that it has been a long time and despite our best efforts feel we have done nothing. Also when the new Council meets perhaps we should set a ‘Harbour Users Group’ consisting of 2 Councillors, 2 members of the Harbour Commissioners and 2 members of the public. Councillor Block stated that the recommendation is to go to the next Council meeting to ratify one way or another. Agreed.
- COUNTY COUNCILLOR GOGGIN:
County Councillor Goggin reported on the following:-
- The pot holes in Richard Avenue had previously been filled with stones, which made them even more dangerous. They have now been fixed.
- The second Bollard has now been fixed in Brightlingsea Road, Thorrington.
- As an Essex County Councillor I have involvement on the Highways. We should appoint someone from this council to attend these meetings. At the meeting last week they authorised £280,000 expenditure, but none of it was for Brightlingsea.
- My next Surgery is on 19th May at the Library from 4pm until 6pm.
- Trying to get the staff at the Library to show people how to report pot holes etc. on their computers, which are fee to use.
Councillor Yallop mentioned the state of the path by the fountain in Victoria Place, opposite the Spar Grocery Store, and asked if this has been reported. The Town Clerk said yes, this has been reported sometime ago.
- TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES FROM THE MEETINGS HELD ON THE 19TH MARCH AND 2ND APRIL 2015 AND TO NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
Councillor Russell proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes of the 19th March and 2nd April 2015 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from Tendring District Council. Seconded by Councillor V Chapman. Agreed.
- TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBERS WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Further to the written reports:-
Councillor Mann – Tendring District Council have not given us the 20 gallons of paint we paid for some time ago. They were going to supply this to us early in the new year, but yet it has not happened. Councillor Steady said he had put a couple of phone calls into Jeanette Thomasson about this, but had not had a reply yet. Councillor Yallop said that she had visited the pool yesterday and it was in an appalling state, with paint flaking off, crisp packets and rubbish everywhere. When walking past today there was a dead bird in the pool.
Councillor Edey – A meeting has been arranged with horse riders for Tuesday 28th April at 6.30pm at the Parish Hall. They are looking for more places to ride. Councillor Steady mentioned the Friends of Tendring Way and that they are keen to extend into Brightlingsea, not just for horse riders.
Councillor V Chapman asked councillor Steady how Warrens pond was. He replied that it had been handed over to the members, and all is going well. Membership is now and running.
Councillor Goggin – The Town Regatta and Boat Show would like permission to use the Lower Park Playing Fields for car parking over the weekend of the 4th and 5th July. The Scouts would run it, as in previous years. Agreed. The Mayor then read out the letter which had been received dated 14th April 2015.
Councillor Aldridge asked Councillor Goggin if he could shed any light on the report from the MMO (Marine Management Organisation) about Geotec bags being put in the water at the end of the Marina. She said that the bags are to be put 15 metres out 2 metres high maybe 5 metres in the middle to stop mud getting into the Marina. Councillor Goggin replied that the whole area of that water is under the control of the Harbour Commissioners and he is unaware of the proposed scheme. Councillor J Chapman stated that people of the town are talking about this and are concerned it will split up the harbour. Apparently it was the Environmental people who suggested this scheme. She also briefed on another rumour that jet skis are to be stored in the shops, however this would need change of use. The Mayor suggested that the council contacts the Harbour Commissioners about this to seek clarification.
Councillor Yallop – Meeting with three gentlemen to help arrange an itinerary for when they bring a coach load of people down in September.
Councillor J Chapman – The ‘last bank in town’ deal has been ditched as the Government did not get the backing from the banks, however I did make contact with Lloyds who stated they have nothing in the pipeline for the next two years.
Councillor Aldridge spoke about the lost B1029 at the Hard, and it was then decided that this would be discussed at the meeting held before the changeover.
Councillor V Chapman – Apologised to those families who use Pawsons Playground as the work to install the new play equipment had taken longer than anticipated. Work should commence again tomorrow and the work should be completed very soon. Councillor Yallop asked about the roundabout and that the gates do not open. Councillor Chapman replied that this has been looked at and repaired. Councillor Yallop then stated that as she had been given the authority to put ‘items’ on Spotted, she felt that the delay in the play equipment should be on there, to inform the residents of the town.
- TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBER REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES:
Councillor Goggin – Attended with Councillor Steady the Joint Users Group at the Colne School. The relationship between the School and Tendring District Council is not good.
Councillor V Chapman – Attended a TDALC meeting where we had a very lively discussion on pot holes, dog fouling and planning issues.
- TO RECEIVE RPORTS SUBMITTED FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS:
Councillor Goggin – The 20mph speed limit for the Colne School is to at peak times only – 8.30am-9.30am and 3pm-4pm.
- TO RECEIVE THE TOWN CLERK’S REPORT:
2.2 – Agreed the Allotment Association can hold its meting of the National Allotment Society (Essex Branch) on the Chapel Road Allotments on Saturday 18th July from 10.30am – 1pm. Also ask if they would like to hire the councils gazebo for the event.
2.3 Agreed that Fiona Brown could use the area next to the harbour masters hut on the Hard for the lunch of a new Brightlingsea One Design on Saturday 9th May.
2.4 The Mayor read out a letter from Jim Lawrence, and it was agreed that this would be circulated to all members.
The Mayor thanked all the public for attending. Councillor Goggin stated that as this was his last meeting as a Town Councillor he had been extremely well served by the staff over the last 10 years and gave thanks to Tracey and the rest of the team.
- MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PUBLIC BODIES (ADMISSION TO MEETINGS) ACT 1960 – To discuss the following:
(a) To receive the Part B Minutes from the council meeting held on the 19th March 2015 and confirm as a correct record.
(b) Property Update
(c) Past Mayors Badge
Chair …………………… Date: 21st May 2015