BRIGHTLINGSEA TOWN COUNCIL
Minutes of the Council Meeting held at The Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on: Thursday 15th August 2013 at 7.30 p.m.
I Block (Mayor)
V Chapman (Deputy Mayor)
J Aldridge (7.34 pm onwards), J Chapman, D Dixon, E Edey,
A Goggin, G Mann, J Russell, G Steady and K Yallop
Tracey Pulford – Town Clerk
10 members of the public
056. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Councillor Olivier.
057. TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 18TH JULY 2013 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record.
058. MAYOR’S ANNOUNCMENTS:
Copy of the Mayor’s Announcements is annexed to the Minutes. The Mayor added one addition to this list – the opening of Warrens Pond on Saturday.
The Mayor also mentioned the Music Festival, and opened up the meeting for comments regarding the event. A discussion then took place and members stated that it was a very successful event, the atmosphere was excellent, it is a tremendous boost for the town. Parking appeared to be a problem especially in Whitegate Road and Link Road. Councillor Aldridge stated that apparently the bus route was changed, and the buses were being redirected around Victoria Place and back out again. She asked that when the post meeting takes place, could this be discussed.
059. QUESTIONS UNDER SO 9(2):
060. DECLARATION OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS:
The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
061. TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:
The Payments and Accounts for the period ending July 2013 (as shown on the attached appendix) were proposed by Cllr V Chapman as follows:
General Account Cheque No’s 705633 – 705661 in the sum of £8,611.40 for payment
Bank Balances – All Accounts – in the sum of £264,863.17
Employee payments paid for the month of July were £10,375.03
Seconded by Cllr Mann. Agreed.
A question was asked about the members allowances, and whether the amount shown was the gross or net figure. The Clerk replied that this was the net figure. The swimming pool was also raised and whether or not the Council is committed to pay the £10,000 annual amount, even when they have had a good season. The Chairman replied that the Council is committee to pay.
062. TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE FINANCE MEETING HELD ON THE 8TH AUGUST 2013 AND TO CONFIRM THE RECOMENATIONS THEREIN:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record, and the following recommendations were agreed:
• Staff Salaries are increased in line with the NJC pay increase, backdated to 1st April 2013
• One member of staffs salary is increased to scale point 6
• The Staff Committee look into the staff salaries etc at a future meeting.
• Members should circulate their ideas on the grant process, so this can be discussed at a future meeting
• Grants are allocated as detailed in the finance minutes
063. TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:
These questions are annexed to the Minutes.
064. COUNTY COUNCILLOR ROGER LORD:
County Councillor Lord was absent from the meeting so this item was moved further down the agenda.
065. TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES FROM THE MEETINGS HELD ON THE 25TH JULY AND 8TH AUGUST 2013 AND TO NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
Councillor Dixon proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes of the 25th July and 8th August 2013 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from TDC. Seconded by Councillor J Russell. Agreed.
066. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBERS WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Further to the written reports:-
Councillor Aldridge –There has been a lot of interest in the new timetable for the Horizon Bus, which begins on the 2nd September. They are offering a £40.00 monthly pass, and at present will not be providing a Saturday Service.
The paperwork has come through from Go Ride, and will be sending this to the Chair of the Finance Committee for his consideration.
Councillor V Chapman – Have arranged a meeting with Dong Energy to look at the play equipment in Pawsons Playground, with the possibility of them sponsoring a piece of equipment.
Councillor Yallop – There is now a web-site set up for the Art Exhibition taking place in September.
Councillor Steady – Have received a letter from the Bowls Club regarding the hedge which runs down Regent Road. They would like to put up a boarded fence (similar to what the Council have done around the Rec), which would cut down on maintenance and give more space. Agreed.
Councillor V Chapman – Someone reported to me that they had hurt their foot in the paddling pool on a rock or something similar. I mentioned this to the Seafront Warden who found the rock and removed it.
067. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBER REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES:
Councillor V Chapman –Attended the TDALC meeting on the 24th July where the Chairman of the EALC and TDC both attended. They are both very approachable people.
Attended the Co-Op in Station Road, where the newly installed Defibrillator was handed over to me for the Town. The East of England co-Operative Society have now installed 51 Defibrillators across the county.
068. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS:
Nothing to add.
069. TO RECEIVE THE TOWN CLERK’S REPORT:
2.1 – A Councillor or the Town Clerk to attend the Flood Management Engagement Day on the 23rd September at the Essex Record Office, Chelmsford.
2.2 – Yes, permission is given for the U3A to film a future Council Meeting for their ‘About Today’ project.
070. MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PUBLIC BODIES (ADMISSION TO MEETINGS) ACT 1960 – To discuss the following:
(a) To receive the Part B Minutes from the Council meeting held on the 18th July 2013 and confirm as a correct record
(b) Property Update
(c) Staff Issues