BRIGHTLINGSEA TOWN COUNCIL
Minutes of the Council Meeting held at
The Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on:
Thursday 10th December 2015 at 7.30 p.m.
J Chapman (Mayor)
K Yallop (Deputy Mayor)
M Barry, I Block, V Chapman
D Ingate, J Russell and G Steady
County Councillor GogginTracey Pulford –Town Clerk
5 Members of the public.
- APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Councillor D Dixon.
- TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 19TH NOVEMBER 2015 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record.
- MAYOR’S ANNOUNCMENTS:
Copy of the Mayor’s Announcements is annexed to the Minutes.
- QUESTIONS UNDER SO 9(2):
- DECLARATION OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS:
The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
- COUNTY COUNCILLOR GOGGIN:
County Councillor Goggin reported on the following:-
- The traffic flow examination at the school is now complete.
- The pot hole in New Street has now bee filled.
- White lines have been repainted in Victoria Place.
- The pot holes in Moverons Lane were filled before Choosing Day.
- Next Highways Panel Meeting is the 28th January 2016.
- Regarding the 2 hourly parking in Victoria Place – the Town Clerk is preparing a copy of the paperwork so this can be taken up again with County.
- Essex Energy Switch – Essex County Council is coming forward in the same way as Tendring District Council did and is offering to be a bulk buyer of utilities. Anyone interested should look at Essex County Council’s web-site to register their interest.
- Had a surgery at the Library on the 24th November 2015. The next one is on the 26th January 2016.
- Attended Full Council meeting on the 8th December 2015 where the budget for the whole of the County was discussed.
Councillor V Chapman mentioned that she had attended a seminar in Chelmsford regarding Broadband, where they were asked to encourage all County Councillors regarding funding. Brightlingsea has some coverage, but will not get total coverage until 2019. The situation will be reviewed again in 6 months time.
Councillor V Chapman also mentioned that someone had a fall crossing the road from Graham Labelling, they slipped on the grassy bank going to the Church. Can anything be done about this – possibly installing some steps or a rail? County Councillor Goggin said that if the Town Council thinks this needs looking at then he would look into it.
- TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:
The Payments and Accounts for the period ending November 2015 (as shown on the attached appendix) were proposed by Councillor Russell as follows:
General Account Cheque No’s 706312 – 706331 in the sum of £7,382.61 for payment.
Bank Balances – All Accounts – in the sum of £253,818.10
Employee payments paid for the month of November were £10,609.59.
Seconded by Councillor Block. Agreed.
Councillor Steady mentioned that £21,714.00 had been received in grants, and he congratulated all who had been involved in obtaining the grants.
- TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:
These questions are annexed to the Minutes.
- TO RECEIVE THE TOWN JETTY REPORT FROM THE BRIGHTLINGSEA HARBOUR COMMISSIONERS ANDAGREE THE ACTION REQUIRED:
A copy of the Town Jetty Report from the Brightlingsea Harbour Commissioners dated 1st December 2015 had been circulated to all Councillors. A discussion took place. Councillor Russell proposed that, in principle, members agree to the expenditure however would like to ask the Harbour Commissioners if a higher spec. of repair could be used. One suggestion was that it is repaired with stainless steel lugs, so they do not corrode as quickly. Also, as the hammerhead does not require as much maintenance, why can’t the design of the jetty be replaced with a similar higher spec. Seconded by Councillor Block. Agreed.
- TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES FROM THE PLANNING MEETINGS HELD ON THE 26TH NOVEMBER 2015 AND TO NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
Councillor V Chapman proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes 26th November 2015 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from Tendring District Council. Seconded by Councillor Ingate. Agreed.
- TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBERS WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Councillor V Chapman – (1) The Groundsmen had been investigating the flooding on the grass car park on the Prom, and had found a broken drain. It has now been repaired and the water is now draining away. Tendring District Council have been informed. (2) A beach hut was broken into a couple of weeks ago and unfortunately the CCTV did not show anything. (3) Replacement bollards – The wooden posts around the grass car park are rotten and in need of replacing. She then asked members which bollard they preferred and showed them two samples –one brown one black. It was agreed that the brown bollards would be used.
Councillor Yallop mentioned the e-mail that had been received from Lloyds stating that the Brightlingsea Branch is not due for closure. She suggested that the e-mail is put on the web-site for the public to see. Agreed.
Councillor Ingate – Spoke about the lack of Police in the town and the possibility of hiring a security firm for security. He circulated some information from ITUS Security Solutions and asked if he could progress this further and obtain quotations etc. This was agreed.
- TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBER REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES:
Councillor V Chapman – A minutes silence was held for Jenny Pettit, a Parish Clerk, who died recently. At the recent meeting police, or lack of, were discussed at length. One member of TDALC proposed that TDALC should contact the Local Government Minister to raise all concerns and questions about the impact of cuts and to demand answers. Also discussed was the budget cuts on Parishes, which are cutting too deep.
The BBC Essex Sunday programme presenters were at Batemans Tower a couple of weeks ago on the Quest Programme. I arrived after broadcasting just to say hello. Graham Chasney was there and they had spoken about Batemans Tower. The Presenters had won the Quest this week and were very pleased.
At the recent Broadband meeting I asked a question on behalf of a resident of the town. I have replied, and the gentleman seemed quite happy. One of the gentleman on the panel was Tony Smith, who is a Councillor at St Osyth Parish Council. He is prepared to come and talk to us, maybe after a planning or finance meeting and talk through everything, and is happy if this is a public meeting.
- TO RECEIVE RPORTS SUBMITTED FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS:
Councillor Yallop – On Monday evening attended a Community Leadership and Partnership Meeting where we carried out a review of the Children and Young People Strategy, also the Government Counter Terrorism Strategy. This is something I will be discussing with the Grounds Manager.
- TO RECEIVE THE TOWN CLERK’S REPORT:
There was nothing to report.
- MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PUBLIC BODIES (ADMISSION TO MEETINGS) ACT 1960 – To discuss the following:
(a) To receive the Part B Minutes from the council meeting held on the 19th November 2015 and confirm as a correct record.
Councillor Russell moved the Part B Minutes from the Council meeting held on the 19th November 2015, as correct, with no discussion. Agreed.
- CLOSE OF MEETING:
There being no further business, the meeting closed at 8.29 p.m.
The Mayor wished Councillors and members of the public a very Happy Christmas and invited them all to stay for a drink and nibbles.
Date 21st January 2016