BRIGHTLINGSEA TOWN COUNCIL
Minutes of the Council Meeting held at The Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on:
Thursday 15th October 2009 at 7.30 p.m.
J Chapman (Mayor)
M Holding (Deputy Mayor)
J Aldridge, M Beckwith, I Block, V Chapman,
D Dixon, A Goggin, G Mann, J Russell, G Steady and K Yallop
Tracey Pulford –Secretary to the Town Council
90. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: None received.
91. TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 17TH SEPTEMBER 2009 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record.
92. MAYOR’S ANNOUNCEMENTS:
A copy of the Mayor’s Announcements is annexed to the Minutes.
93. QUESTIONS UNDER SO 10(2):
94. DECLARATION OF PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTERESTS:
The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
95. TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:
The Accounts for the period ending September 2009 were proposed by Cllr V Chapman as follows:
General Account Cheque No’s 704415 – 704440 in the sum of £25,797.82 for payment
Bank Balances – All accounts – in the sum of £227,468.42
Salaries paid for the month of September were £8,775.96
Seconded by Cllr Block. Agreed.
Cllr Yallop asked what cheque numbers 704431 and 704439 were for; Cllr Chapman replied that 704431 was for the printing of the Town Questionnaire, and 704439 was for the insurance on the jetty. Cllr J Chapman mentioned cheque704415 which was a donation in memory of Barbara Stephens.
93. TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES OF THE FINANCE MEETING HELD ON 1ST OCTOBER 2009 AND CONFIRM THE RECOMMENDATIONS THEREIN:
Cllr Block proposed the minutes of the meeting held on the 1st October 2009, and the following recommendations are accepted:
• Council accepts the amended Standing Orders, with the written changes.
• External Auditor’s Certificate and Opinion for the year ended 31st March 2006 and 31st March 2007 be accepted.
• A letter is written to the Governing Body of the External Auditors.
• The possibility of a YTS/Apprentice to help with the every day general tasks of the Council is looked into further.
• The Council looks into purchasing a ‘Past Mayors’ Badge.
• Jim Smetherham is invited to attend a future Finance Meeting to give a short presentation on Special Expenses.
• 2nd Round of Grants is advertised with a closing date of 6th November 2009.
Also Tracey Pulford contacts all those who received a grant from the 1st round, asking for a progress report of whether the money is to be spent.
94. COUNTY COUNCILLOR ROBINSON:
County Councillor Robinson reported on the following two local issues:
• The water on the highway near All Saints Church is still just as bad as it was before. I have contacted Highways again and asked for the surveyors to go out and have a look at the problem.
• Minerals – There are no preferred sites in Tendring.
95. TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:
A copy of the Questions from the Public is annexed to the Minutes.
96. TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES OF THE PLANNING MEETINGS HELD ON 17TH SEPTEMBER AND 1ST OCTOBER 2009 AND TO NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
Cllr Dixon proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes of the 17th September and 1st October 2009 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from TDC. Seconded by Cllr Block.
Cllr Dixon spoke about application 09/00733/FUL, and stated that if it meets the current standards for parking, there is no reason for refusal.
97. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBERS WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Further to the written reports:-
Cllr Aldridge – Went out last evening with an Enforcement Officer and pointed out all the bad spots of parking problems. There is a lack of disabled parking spaces in the Town, looking for one space to be installed outside the chemist and one outside the Doctors. Cllr Steady mentioned that there are now two disabled spaces in the Victoria Place Car park.
Cllr Beckwith – Nothing further to add.
Cllr J Chapman – Attended the Community Transport AGM and it was announced that concessionary bus passes can now be used on dial-a-ride.
Cllr Goggin – The web-site is now up and running.
Cllr Holding – The bridge near Mill Street pond should be installed end October/early November.
Cllr Mann – Nothing further to add.
Cllr Russell – Nothing further to add.
Cllr Steady – Community Family Fun and Information Day is being organised by 4-Youth as fund raising event. The council will have a stall, and this will be used to supersede the normal Councillor Surgery.
Cllr Yallop – Nothing further to add.
98. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBER REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES:
Further to the written reports:-
Cllr Russell mentioned that more than one member of the public has praised Cllr V Chapman on the purchase of bins for the Churchyard.
Cllr G Steady spoke about the plans for Strangers Corner, and that Graham Thomas was disappointed in the way the school are going about doing things.
Cllr Goggin mentioned that the existing trust for the James Aldous Trust was now redundant, and a new trust formed.
99. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS:
The Mayor spoke about Councillor Goggins report/statement, and said that unfortunately the Tendring Councillors can not always be here at meetings, but are representing Brightlingsea at Tendring. They are there for our benefit and the benefit of Brightlingsea. It was agreed that any absence would now be recorded with a reason.
100. TO RECEIVE THE SECRETARY’S REPORT:
The report was noted.
The Mayor mentioned item 1.26 and that a letter was received from the Fishmongers asking for help to keep the businesses in the Town. As Cllr Beckwith had brought this up at the last meeting, a poster was designed, with the help of the Business Association, and delivered to every business in the Town.
101. PART ‘B’
MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 100a (4) OF THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT 1972 – TO DISCUSS THE FOLLOWING:
(A) TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES OF THE PART B MEETING HELD ON THE 17TH SEPTEMBER 2009 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD
(B) PROPERTY UPDATE
(C) SWIMMING POOL
(D) CAR PARKS