BRIGHTLINGSEA TOWN COUNCIL
Minutes of the Council Meeting held at The Parish Hall, Victoria Place, Brightlingsea on: Thursday 21st June 2012 at 7.30 p.m.
K Yallop (Mayor)
I Block (Deputy Mayor
J Chapman, V Chapman , D Dixon, E Edey,
A Goggin, G Mann, J Russell and G Steady
Tracey Pulford –Town Clerk
County Councillor Derek Robinson (until 7.50 pm)
5 Members of the public
017. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Councillors Aldridge and Olivier.
018. TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 17TH MAY 2012 AND CONFIRM AS A CORRECT RECORD:
The Minutes were accepted as a true record.
019. MAYOR’S ANNOUNCMENTS:
Copy of the Mayor’s Announcements is annexed to the Minutes.
The Mayor then handed out a Jubilee Commemorative Coin to all Councillors and members of the public present.
020. QUESTIONS UNDER SO 9(2):
One Question was received from Councillor Goggin:
On May 11 2012, I received a formal decision notice from the Democratic Services Officer at Tendring District Council marked private and confidential. It followed the complaint from Cllr Olivier against myself, Councillors V Chapman, Edey, Mann, Steady and Yallop in respect of bullying, bringing BTC in to disrepute, and ignoring advice. Did the Clerk receive a similar letter and is it acceptable for the Clerk to send a copy to all Councillors who were not named and draw particular attention to the comments where the independent felt:
1. That the bringing of this complaint was disrespectful and it caused an unnecessary use of the time and resources of Tendring District Council
2. There was no substance in the complaint and saw no merit in it
3. That the democratic process of Brightlingsea Town Council was duly followed and
4. That no action be taken.
The Clerk replied that yes she has received the letter, but will not be circulating it as it has now gone to review which is on 28th June 2012.
021. DECLARATION OF PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTERESTS:
The Mayor reminded Members to declare interests when necessary.
022. TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THOSE MEMBERS EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE CURRENT PERIOD:
It has not been possible to prepare the end of April and May 2012 statements. These will therefore be presented at the next Council meeting.
Councillor Steady then proposed the following cheques which were drawn as follows:
General Account – Cheques Nos 705265 – 705303 in the sum of £24,839.69 for payment.
Seconded by Cllr Yallop. Agreed.
023. TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE FINANCE MEETING HELD ON 24TH MAY 2012 AND TO CONFIRM THE RECOMMENDATIONS THEREIN:
Councillor Block moved the Minutes of the meeting held on the 24th May 2012 be accepted as a true record with the following recommendations:
• The Council bids for the S106 money to extend/improve the facilities at the Bayard Recreation Ground.
• No organisation who has purchased public liability insurance in order to hire the Parish Hall has this insurance cost reimbursed.
• The Town Clerk makes enquiries with Barclays about a ‘charge card’ however before any amounts can be spent the transactions/order is authorised by a member of the Finance Committee.
• Lisa Billings increases her hours from 1st June 2012.
• The cost for organisations to hire the Gazebo would be £40.00 deposit, with a refund of £30.00 after the event. Also the Gazebo would be signed for and checked in and out.
Seconded by Councillor Steady. Agreed.
024. COUNTY COUNCILLOR ROBINSON:
County Councillor Robinson reported on the following:
Firstly he congratulated Councillor Yallop on her appointment as Mayor for the coming year.
Highways – the new Cabinet Member for Transport and Highways is Councillor Derek Louis from Witham. 11million pounds has been put forward for potholes, everything is still reported in normal way, and hopefully things will be mended soon.
Bus Services – The cabinet member has made a key decision to cover all 78 bus areas. All tenders have gone in.
Councillor V Chapman said that at a recent TDALC meeting highways was top of list. Also the queuing at Rush Green recycling centre, especially at weekends. County Councillor Robinson reported that Kevin Bentley is aware of this and he will keep the pressure on him.
Councillor Edey asked when the footpaths get cut? She receives phone calls daily about overgrown paths. In particular the footpath behind the Chapel through to Robinson Road, and the path opposite Colne School.
She recently spoke to Jason Botello about footpath posts and he advised that they are waiting for money and he does not have the authority to deliver them. He is waiting for a 90 day consultation. Do you know anything about this? County Councillor Robinson replied that everything is prioritised.
Councillor J Chapman spoke about Martins Farm and that Kevin Bentley promised a review after 6 months. Has this happened? County Councillor Robinson replied not as far as he is aware.
025. TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC:
These questions are annexed to the Minutes.
026. SEALING OF THE LEASE RELATING TO 4TH BRIGHTLINGSEA SCOUT GR0OP OF THE SCOUT ASSOCIATION:
The lease for the scout group was sealed and signed by the Mayor and countersigned by the Town Clerk.
027. TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES OF THE PLANNING MEETINGS HELD ON 17TH AND 31ST MAY AND 14TH JUNE 2012 AND TO NOTE PLANNING DECISIONS OF TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL:
Councillor Dixon proposed that the recommendations in the Minutes of 17th and 31st May and 14th June 2012 be agreed by Council, together with the planning decisions from TDC. Seconded by Councillor V Chapman. Agreed.
028. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBERS WITH SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Further to the written reports:-
Councillor Mann thanked Councillor Goggin for all his hard work for the Regatta Swimming Pool Activities.
Councillor Goggin spoke about the rumours regarding Hampstead Homes and their possible bankruptcy etc. He stated that he is having on-going meetings with Tendring District Council about planning issues etc, and had invited Councillor Block to attend a meeting held this morning . The issues are a) finance b) planning. He therefore asked for Council to agree that Councillor Block attends all meetings with the liquidator. He stated that the meeting is next Friday 29th June. Agreed.
029. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM MEMBER REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES:
Councillor Dixon asked Councillor Goggin about the Councils Web-site, stating that following the Town Plan the committee had received a couple of complaints that the site was out of date. Councillor Yallop stated that there is a link to the Business Association web-site, and this does have out of date information on it., i.e. empty shops etc. Councillor Goggin said that he would take this issue up with the BBA and would also arrange a meeting with David Bridle. Councillor Yallop mentioned that a letter should also be sent to the BBA stating that the Brightlingsea Town Tourism Manager is in fact the Business Association Town Manager.
Councillor V Chapman – Recently attended a meeting at TDALC where the changes to Standards Board was discussed. She also mentioned that she and Councillor Dixon had attended a meeting with Gary Ashby of Tendring District Council and would like Councils approval to go ahead with getting a Design Statement prepared. Agreed.
Councillor J Chapman – Boat Show and Town Regatta – Now have 42 Stalls booked in for the weekend, and would like to invite the mayor to attend on both days.
030. TO RECEIVE REPORTS SUBMITTED FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS:
Councillor Goggin spoke about the free car parking initiative that Tendring District Council are rolling out. All Tendring rate payers will receive a pass for all Tendring car parks from 10am – 12 midnight.
031. TO RECEIVE THE TOWN CLERK’S REPORT:
2.1 – Agreed that Headway Essex can hold a sponsored dog walk and fun dog show on the Western Promenade, on a Sunday after the summer holidays.
2.2 – Agreed that Tracey Pulford and Councillor J Chapman attend the meeting at Tendring District Council Offices on Tuesday 26th June on the Localism Act 2011 – New Conduct Arrangements.
032. MOTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PUBLIC BODIES (ADMISSION TO MEETINGS) ACT 1960 – To discuss the following:
(a) Property Update